Suntour Forks...

Nick Dastardly
Nick Dastardly Posts: 606
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
So, I've been away from all this for a while. To cut a longish story short a couple of years ago I was hooning around on my lovely bright orange Orange Crush, then moved to central London, Crush got stolen, insurance company wouldn't pay out due them making a mistake on the policy and my housemate not reading the documents when they sent them (not that I'm still bitter or anything) and now I've moved back out to the leafy suburbs and want to get back into riding.

So I'm thinking of spending around £600ish on a shiny new bike. Admittedly I know that at this price I'm probably going to be slightly disappointed at the spec compared to the Crush, but a lot of the bikes I've been looking at come with Suntour forks and back in the day these were totally shoot. Should I avoid them like the plague or have they got better over the last few years? Are the lower range RS forks any better? Same with Acera/Alivio components at this price, should I avoid them or have Shimano just rejigged their range? I could increase the budget a bit if a small increase would get me a much improved fork. Probably wouldn't do the same for the drivetrain because as long as it's not completely rubbish I can always upgrade as things wear out.

Nick
"The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Suntour makes some good budget forks - and depending on the model can outclass the basic models from RS. Acera/Alivio is good stuff, better to have lower end drivetrain parts and a good fork than the other way round.

Can't go wrong with the Boardman Comp for 650, or Decathlon Rockrider for 500.
  • spr wheelie
    spr wheelie Posts: 110
    im trying to save up for a voodoo bokor. what ive reserched as a good suntour epicon fork and the whole drive train is deore. its 680 but halfords is doing some internet money off when you spend so much.
    sight 3 se
  • Cheers for the responses guys, put my mind at rest a bit after experiencing some pretty nasty Suntours a few years back!

I'm going through Cyclescheme so think I'll probably order the vouchers now and see what I can find, Evans have the Norco Charger 6.1 for £580 at the moment which looks pretty tasty but I'll keep looking...
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!