Giant Trance X5 - Update 13/10

absv
absv Posts: 149
edited May 2015 in Your mountain bikes
Thought I'd show off my new aquisition, it wont be to everyones taste but I love it! It's my first build and first full sus bike to match.

Started off as this:

IMG_4177.jpg

After a couple of weeks and a slpash of colour, it now looks like this:

IMG_4215.jpg

I've got an On-one seatpost and bars and SLX brakes on order. Only major components I need to sort are the drivetrain (probably SLX either 3x10 or if I can find it cheap enough 2x10), then its just all the little bits.

Massive thanks to Ali for the great powder coating job and general advice :D

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    loving the colour
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    +1 for the colour very nice is that done by Argos
  • absv
    +1 for the colour very nice is that done by Argos

Nah, someone on the forum did it for me but I'm not sure if he wants to advertise the fact too much so I'll let him identify himself if he wants.

I was slightly worried the colour was going to turn out as a burnt orange but it's nice and bright, just how I hoped it would be 8) All I have to do is learn to ride as good as it looks!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Look good Andy :wink: , what colour trim are you going for and have you sorted the decals yet?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • absv
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Look good Andy :wink: , what colour trim are you going for and have you sorted the decals yet?

Haven't even thought about the decals yet! On-one quoted three weeks delivery time for the bars (after I had ordered when they were 'in stock') so its kind of put a hold on things. Probably going with white decals, black everything else but possibly orange grips but not decided yet. At least it's looking like a bike now :D

Oh, a pair of SLX brakes arrived the day after I ordered them from Tweeks Cycles which I was very impressed with!
  • absv
    Well its been loong enough but its almost completed now :) I need to shorten the seatpost as its as far in as it'll go and once I've been out on a test ride those brake hoses need shortening and tidying! Oh and graphics to finish it off!

20121013_164807.jpg

20121013_164814.jpg

Ive just ridden it around in the garden and it feels soooo light, it's my first build and first full sus bike so I'm over the moon right now :). Once I've learned to ride it properly it'll be even better ;)
  • that is one sorted looking trance you got. Was it much effort to strip the rear bearings. As I want to spray my bad boy too.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I used to have one of these, it's a great ride. If you ever want to improve it these bikes work really well with a 140mm fork. Not many bikes are improved with a longer fork but these are, it used to be a common mod
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I used to have one of these, it's a great ride. If you ever want to improve it these bikes work really well with a 140mm fork. Not many bikes are improved with a longer fork but these are, it used to be a common mod

I second that, great with a 140mm fork. I enjoyed mine so much I bought the latest model too.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Antm81 wrote:

I second that, great with a 140mm fork. I enjoyed mine so much I bought the latest model too.

I had an old style (2009) Rockshox Pike dual air u turn on mine which was a perfect match to the bike.
    I test rode the new model and it's a brilliant frame, one of the best I have ridden but then I rode a Transition which I liked just a little bit more :-)