Time to elevate Olympic RR beyond chipper?

2»

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Still a chipper. If they binned the road race and put the pursuit back in for the wooden circle crew, would anyone really care? In road cycling the olympics is not the pinnacle of the sport - many other races are more important.

I still think they should bring back the 100km TTT freak show.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    iainf72 wrote:
    GBR (Wiggins, Froom, Millar +1) presumably would be hot favourites for Gold in a 4-man 100k TT. Probably more of a banker than Cav was.
    Rich
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Ultimately the worth of a race isn't determined by us fans or even history - it's down to how much Vino is willing to pay for it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Hi all

Been reading the forum for a couple of years now, and have learned an awful lot about bike racing from you all. One thing that keeps cropping up however, that I haven't understood .... what on earth is a chipper??

Thanks everyone

Andy
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,870
    take the RR and TT out of olympics... add more track events
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Hi all

Been reading the forum for a couple of years now, and have learned an awful lot about bike racing from you all. One thing that keeps cropping up however, that I haven't understood .... what on earth is a chipper??

Thanks everyone

Andy

Basically a race of little importance. In club racing handicaps get called chippers cos historically it was all about a quick race (probably mid week evenuing )followed by a chip supper.

Following on from other posts above I think there could be good support for a good 1 day race in the UK if it could be financed and the top teams attracted to race.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

Good idea. Make every Olympic host country build a million seater Velodrome bearing in mind that's how many people lined the RR course to experience Olympic cycling yesterday :roll:
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962

Not very fair for women's cycling. The race for them certainly isn't a chipper.
  • Thanks Yellow :D

Basically a race of little importance. In club racing handicaps get called chippers cos historically it was all about a quick race (probably mid week evenuing )followed by a chip supper.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    iainf72 wrote:
    Still a chipper. If they binned the road race and put the pursuit back in for the wooden circle crew, would anyone really care? In road cycling the olympics is not the pinnacle of the sport - many other races are more important.

I think the way that some of the track events have been got rid of is definitely a bit of a shame, for the trackies. But they should get rid of riding a kids bike on a mud track :wink: before getting rid of the road race/TT

Agree about bringing back the TTT, for the lolz as the kids say.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    johnfinch wrote:
    IS it emerging from chipper status?

It has been a top quality race and a major goal for the professional since at least 2004. So no, it emerged from that status 8 years ago.
    Longer, in fact.
    Merckx wanted to win it as a boy
    1988 the so called amateurs from East Europe cleaned up in Seoul, Korea.
    The Road Race break was chased down by two Eastern European riders who became famous when the "Wall" came down.
    Olaf Ludwig and Djamolidine Abdoujaparof

It was Barcelona 1992 when the "Dream Team" and the other sports professionals were allowed to compete.
    Merckx was an amateur like everybody else has always been.

Leave the Olympics to the under 23's as they are the nearest thing to an "Amateur".

Of course it's a chipper and the penalty should be to insist they wear the Gold medal at every pro race for 4 years.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972