Tyre Problem - Opinions Please

thescouselander
thescouselander Posts: 549
edited July 2012 in Road general
I've noticed something strange about my Conti Gatorskins. Every so often some sort of thread detaches itself from the sidewall of the tyres. I wasn't to concerned at first as the thread seem to be quite near the surface but more and more threads seem to be coming loose on both sides of both tyres. Once the thread comes loose it works all the way round the tyre. Here is a picture to illustrate the problem:

Tyre.jpg

Is this something to be concerned about - should I be thinking about new tyres? For info the tyres have 1500 miles on them and still look like they should have plenty of life in them.

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    I've not had that before with the gatorskins on my 'wet' bike and it doesn't look significant to me but I think the best thing for you to do is email your pic to Continental and see what they say.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    This happens with my Schwalbe Durano's... I believe it's normal and doesn't require any action.
  • My Gatorskins have been shedding threads like that for a couple of months.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    As all have said - not a problem- my contis have been doing it for at least two years now.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    yeah they do that, no problems, carry on riding!
  • Ditto - normal behaviour for them as they have been doing that on mine for a few years also.
  • yeachan153
    yeachan153 Posts: 401
    Secteur wrote:
    This happens with my Schwalbe Durano's... I believe it's normal and doesn't require any action.
    Yeah it's perfectly safe apparently. I wasn't convinced so I sent 2 of my Durano's back to Schwalbe and they sent out replacements and a couple free tubes.
  • Good news, I'll just cut the threads off then. Thanks for the info everyone.
  • qeaou
    qeaou Posts: 43
    This is normal and doesn't require any action (as previously mentioned)
    --
    Riding along!