Cervelo R5 VWD LTD

saprkzz
saprkzz Posts: 592
edited November 2012 in Your road bikes
I picked up this bad boy yesterday and totally amazed by how amazingley amazing this bike is. Climbs, sprints, and helps me holding +20mph average speeds.

Did a hilly 30 miler last night and a flat'ish (1000ft) 40 miler this morning and the thing just wants to press on. Cant wait to get racing on it. It is so comfortable, Legs and back/shoulders felt great after both rides.

Here is the little photo shoot i did after my ride, and one of the collection. :D

086.jpg

082.jpg

088.jpg

093.jpg

079.jpg

Spec:

Frame - Cervelo R5 VWD LTD
Groupo - 2012 SRAM Red
Wheels - ZIPP 404 Clinchers
Stem & Bars - ZIPP service course
Pedals - Look KEO Carbon
Tape - FIZIK
Saddle - FIZIK ARIONE

Comments

• Cornish-J
    Cornish-J Posts: 978
    love the new sram red look - cervelo looks awesome, only thing that lets it down in my opinion (being super critical as it's an amazing machine!) is the alloy breaking surface - silver stands out a bit too much, sell them and get some firecrests!
  • ara3791
    ara3791 Posts: 378
    Agree, amazingly amazing.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The clincher Zipps ruin it :(
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    NapoleonD wrote:

What should he have gone for? Tubs are a PITA for training. Perhaps the new Enve clinchers?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Love Cervelos, love yours - very nice OP :)
  • saprkzz
    Thanks for the comments, even negative or constructive :)

I would have loved to have gone for Carbon/firecrest, but this would have been only for show. I went for the ally brake surface zipps as a ""play safe" wheel as I do a lot of wet miles, and reading reviews that braking in wet on Carbon can be an experience. I am still a nervour rider in the wet after my crash last year.

Certainly cant be a***d with Tubs, so these wheels suit me perfectly. oh and I got them cheap in a deal which also helped! :)
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Nice that, how long is that stem and how smooth is the new Sram Red :?:
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    NapoleonD wrote:

What should he have gone for? Tubs are a PITA for training. Perhaps the new Enve clinchers?

Easton ec90 sl clinchers would look nice on that!
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • saprkzz
    The stem is 120mm. The frame size is the same as my moda (56cm), but the geometry is really different on the R5. The Moda has a 140mm stem, i have long arms and upper body, and following a pro bike fit on the Moda, they said ideally i should have gone for a 58cm. The 56cm R5 fits me spot on using a 120mm.

The Red is nice, really light weight. I had spec'd the bike with Dura ace Di2, but after a test ride on another bike, it didnt gel with me, couldnt really get on with it, so as I was used to SRAM Force thought I would "stick with what you know"
    Its super smooth and precise, gear changes are instant. They have more of a clunk than force and also a louder click on the levers, you can really hear the changes, this is very different to Force.

I am a big lover of double tap, so all in all i am pleased I selected Red.

The bike weighs 15lbs exact with pedals, putting lighter wheels n, maybe Racing zero's or something alike will be next on the shopping list.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    NapoleonD wrote:

Zipp Carbon clinchers with Swisstop yellows?

If alloy braking surface then The exalith coated Cosmics?

If it's for training then why the need for deep rims anyway?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Nice !!

If you're ever considering selling that Klein, let me know !!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • saprkzz
    @NapD, why the need? cos I ride sooooooo sooooo fast i slice through the wind so need deep aero wheels!!! :twisted: when I ride theres no such thing as a head wind :roll: :roll:

....anyway....

Thanks MattC59, I will let you know, although I had been waiting years to source this one. Once I got the frame, took another year to source the components from all over europe. Now its a garage queen, to scared to get it dirty! haha
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    saprkzz wrote:
    Thanks MattC59, I will let you know, although I had been waiting years to source this one. Once I got the frame, took another year to source the components from all over europe. Now its a garage queen, to scared to get it dirty! haha

I have a 1993 AMP B2 which was a similar build, lots of 1993 XTR sourced from all over Europe. Strugglig to find the right wheels though !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • molov
    molov Posts: 17
    Awesome build!
    Is that a GXP crankset with adapters for the Bbright?

Molov
  • itsnotarace
    itsnotarace Posts: 518
    Klein is the best bike there 8)
  • BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    That is a beautiful bike. When I was buying my bike I considered an R5 VWD, I ended up going for a Cannondale because the sizing suited me better.

I like the bikes that have been built up to be functional, it's an added bonus when everything comes together so nicely. Usually I comment on what upgrades i'd put on it, but I genuinely cant think of anything I would change. Contrary to "NapoleonD" I think the 404's go very nicely for the bike and it's intended purpose, maybe get something lighter for racing, but those hoops will never let you down. It's very proportional as well, my 63cm SuperSix Evo looks a bit too big for the wheels, but that bike is spot on!

Have many happy miles on the new addition to the family!
  • saprkzz
    Thanks bikeswan,

The bike is amazing, I commented on your comments in the review, saying I narrowed my choice down to your bike or mine, and it took me weeks, it basically came to a coin toss!

How is your shaping up?.. is it comfortable or is it a "race machine"?

The reason why I ended up going for the Cervelo in the end, my LBS stock them and I love their friendly service so wanted to stick with them (Phil Corley Cycles in Milton Keynes).

I am enjoying the ZIPP's, last night in the rain the brakes performed perfectly and although the are very stiff and take time to wind up, (dont appear to be sprint wheels) I really like the look of them. I will be buying some wheesl next month, trying to pick from a few, but have it to Dura ace C35 or C24, Fulcrum Racing zero's or Mavic R-SYS

I have swapped my AC420's for tonights ride, so will be interesting how that feels.

Any opinions would be appriciated.
  • ianho
    ianho Posts: 170
    I have the same Zipp clinchers n also Firecrest Tubs. The Clinchers certainly brake a lot better but they r really heavy. Like saprkzz said perfect for wet rides. But I definitely prefer my Firecrests. They're light, fast n comfy. The braking is really nice with Swisstop Yellows or my favorite pads right now- Lightweight pads which r grey in color. The Swisstop yellows stain the braking surface n it becomes an ugly yellow. Works really well in the wet too. Braking is definitely not as good as the alloy clincher but close enough in both wet n dry.

I have a few other sets of carbon wheels n the Zipp Firecrests really do have the best braking.
    Pinayellow Dogma 65.1
    Team Sky Dogma 65.1
    S-Works Venge F22 Raptor
    S-Works Roubaix B2 Bomber
    Van Nicholas B17 Flying Fortress
    Lynskey Captain America
    Intense Tracer
  • BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    saprkzz wrote:
    Thanks bikeswan,

The bike is amazing, I commented on your comments in the review, saying I narrowed my choice down to your bike or mine, and it took me weeks, it basically came to a coin toss!

How is your shaping up?.. is it comfortable or is it a "race machine"?

The reason why I ended up going for the Cervelo in the end, my LBS stock them and I love their friendly service so wanted to stick with them (Phil Corley Cycles in Milton Keynes).

I am enjoying the ZIPP's, last night in the rain the brakes performed perfectly and although the are very stiff and take time to wind up, (dont appear to be sprint wheels) I really like the look of them. I will be buying some wheesl next month, trying to pick from a few, but have it to Dura ace C35 or C24, Fulcrum Racing zero's or Mavic R-SYS

I have swapped my AC420's for tonights ride, so will be interesting how that feels.

Any opinions would be appriciated.

I'm loving my SuperSix EVO. My local bike shop (Enduro Sport, Toronto, Canada) specializes in Cannondale and Cervelo which is why I had the opportunity to pick between the two. I find the bike extremely comfortable. I dont think it has "micro suspension" as Cannondale keep banging on about. It doesn't feel as if the back end is actually moving, but it mutes large hits very well, and it's easy to stay in the saddle on even the bumpiest of roads. It's also surprisingly stiff. I'm 6'3" and ride a lot and I cant detect any flex in the BB or down tube areas. For such a light frame I was expecting more flex.

It's interesting your near Milton Keynes becuase a close freind of mine moved out there a few weeks ago, you might see him on the roads (he's on an Enigma Effusion if you see him) :)

On the wheel front: The C24 Shimano's are very nice and are very good value if you look around. I wouldn't go for the C35's because there so close to the Zipp's you've already got. The C35's are also quite heavy for what they are, it would be alright if they were cheaper than average but there not. The fulcrum's seem to get a good rap, but they dont strike me to be as technologically advanced as the price would leave you to believe. Now the Mavics; those R-Sys wheels are a real gem, i've got a pair of Ksyrium SL's on my SuperSix and they are absolutely awesome. The R-Sys are very similar except lighter! Since you've already got those aero Zipps, and nice pair of low profile climbing wheels would be an excellent complement to the bike. Going with some R-Sys SL's, R-Sys SLR's, or just the normal R-Sys would be my prefernce (obviously i'd go for the R-Sys SL's if you've got the funds).

Anyway, have fun buying wheels!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I want the new Red!

Great bike - ignore the wheel comments, as any all rouder wants durable wheels (carbon rims and tubs aint great unless you race or test). It would look better with carbon rim tubs, but not when you were at the side of the road fixing them! Easier to switch between a climbing pair such as the zeros, too, as no need to mess about with pads.
  • lovely bike!

as i ve one myself (just got a frame set), I like to know how do you fit sram red crank in bb right? i ve been told that sram red its not compatible with cervelo bb right. really keen to hear back from you. thank you
  • thats lovely that is and nice collection too! really looks a comfortable bike although your hoods look a long way away and well over the front of the bars.
  • saprkzz
    awanandi wrote:
    lovely bike!

as i ve one myself (just got a frame set), I like to know how do you fit sram red crank in bb right? i ve been told that sram red its not compatible with cervelo bb right. really keen to hear back from you. thank you

I specced the bike and had it assemebled so I am not too sure. Phone Phil corley cycles in milton keynes who did the build for me and they will be able to tell you the process.

Hope this helps.

Jeff, the hoods feel ok in distance, but i did notice this morning my attention was drawn to the angle of them, they felt too far forward on the bars when i was rested on them.

Thanks Paul, this is my favourite bike of all time, nothing in my cycling experince will come close to the Team colours Klein Attitude! I had pictures of this bike on my wall when I was 13 :)
    Had to wait to my mid thirties to own one 8)

096.jpg

100.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    saprkzz wrote:
    awanandi wrote:
    Thanks Paul, this is my favourite bike of all time, nothing in my cycling experince will come close to the Team colours Klein Attitude! I had pictures of this bike on my wall when I was 13 :)

Yeah I'm not much younger than you and I remember Kleins being these super bikes that I would never be able to afford in bright colours with mad oversize tubing! They were pretty wild for their day.

Bet it's still a quick machine now!
  • saprkzz
    Paul 8v wrote:
    saprkzz wrote:
    awanandi wrote:

Yeah I'm not much younger than you and I remember Kleins being these super bikes that I would never be able to afford in bright colours with mad oversize tubing! They were pretty wild for their day.

Bet it's still a quick machine now!

Sadly due to the real crap weather I havent had a decent ride on it this year, so fingers crossed for next, i am waiting for a dry hot dusty summers day to take it up the woods.
  • That R5 looks sexy. Hope you ride the snot out of it a lot. The new Red makes my knees weak. I was a 25 year Dura Ace user but the Force on my CX bike has me sold - I was shocked. Plus it's mega light. This is Shimano's last frontier and one they've always left to Campag, and now SRAM, to push.

Top advice from Bike Swan re: wheels. I have CL24s, RS80s and Hed Ardennes and have to give the edge to the Ardennes for pure riding dynamics, cornering, climbing etc. I'm 83 kgs and have yet to put them out of true - the Ardennes are from Sept 2008, before they porked up a bit, which they certainly have in the last 1-2 years.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.