Tesco Hydration Rucksack, Any Good ?

vim147
vim147 Posts: 120
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Are the Hydration packs from http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-hydration-rucksack-6l/215-1572.prd?skuId=215-1572&pageLevel= any good or do you prefer the branded packs ?

Also what multi tool do you carry ? seems like its double the price if i want one with a chain breaker.

Any recommendation on chain degreasers, something cheaper then muc off ?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I've had one for about three years and it's been perfect. Can't really go wrong at the price. I originally just bought it to see if I liked camelbak type things (old school bottle user), and was planning on buying a fancier one if I did. I did but have had no need to change.
    As for multitools, I carry a seperate chain tool as it just works better.
    One of these
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... Track=true
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Cant comment on the hydro pack.

I have a v cheap multi and a seperate chain breaker like CD - think my multi toop came wiht an old and now long dead saddle bag, the flat blade screwdriver snapped but everything else covers what I need most days (not had any on trail issues for a while aside from putting a crank arm back on).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    Yeah, you can pretty much do everything with a couple of allen keys.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I wouldn't bother with a multitool, honestly. The only things you're going to need when out are going to be an Allen key or two, chain tool, and maybe a phillips screwdriver (in addition to pump, tyre levers and puncture repair kit/tubes). May as well just carry proper ones that you can actually use in your rucksack, rather than silly little ones that are no use most of the time.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Topeak Hexus - fantastic.

Tesco Hydro Packs - really good but not waterproof. If you not going out in the pouring rain they are great. Bladders not as fancy as the camelbak ones but have not leaked yet. Biggest down is that the mouth piece is poor compared to the camelbak bite mouthpiece - you have to flip a lever to drink with the tesco one, with camelbak just put it in your mouth and bite.
  • rapid_donkey
    rapid_donkey Posts: 448
    I have had 2 of those Tesco hydration packs. On the first, the bladder cap split and leaked all over my stuff, and the second one has sat unused now since I tried, and then immediately bought a camelbak mule.
    The tesco pack doesnt have any support or feel steady when on your back, you have to suck hard to get water from it, and when the bladder is full theres room for a multi tool, kit kat and thats about it.

Tools wise, I have an allen key set from Halfords which is priceless for mid ride adjustments, a Topeak chain tool and I carry a Lezyne pump and spares.
  • cooldad
    @apreading - fairish points, but I have no problems with my tools, or muesli bar wrappings hetting damp, and the valve works fine - seeing as you have to hold it to get it to your mouth, flipping the lever at the same time becomes second nature - plus I'm never thirsty enough to need instantaneous water.
    But they are cheap, so expecting them to be as good as much more expensive stuff is perhaps unreasonable.

@donkey - bollocks - do up the straps and it's perfectly steady. There is also plenty of room for tools, pump, tube, jacket and cake. What more do you need?

For someone on a budget, or wanting to try one out, they are fine, like the Rockrider of hydration packs.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Dont know what pack you got Donkey, but mine holds a jacket, lezyne pump, spare inner, several snack bars, tools, glasses, spare gloves etc... And as cooldad says, have no problems keeping it steady.

Admittedly, I now use a camelback cloudwalker most of the time because I had already bought it before I knew about the Tesco ones and because I got it for £22 from wiggle (always blame them...) I do find that I want something even bigger than the Tesco one sometimes, which is one area where the cloudwalker comes into its own - but thats mainly because I carry stuff for the whole family sometimes . My son happily uses the Tesco one all the time though - but I carry all the tools & spares etc, so he doesnt have much weight on his back. If/when we have an issue with the bladder, I will get a better bladder but still use it in the Tesco pack.

I actually got an even better deal on the Tesco one - 4 for £8 !!! So the whole family now has one.

Dont get me wrong cooldad - I wasnt complaining about those points regarding the Tesco one, just informing others what you get if you pay the extra money. To some those things might be important, but to others not.
  • cooldad
    No worries I realised that, just we get a lot of people without loads of money being given the impression that unless you have a state of the art bike with full triple XXTRmega XO super duper carbon components, unobtanium bolts etc etc, you can't have a bit of fun in the dirt.
    Right down to blingy multitools, when all you really need are a couple of allen keys.
    Being kept in penury by an evil ex, I sympathise.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I've got the Tesco one and it seems pretty good. Plenty of room in it for spare tube, toolkit, food and a (compact) waterproof.

As for using it, yes there is a lever to turn but to be honest I just leave it on as the cap is one of the ones you have to bite to get the fluid out and I find it never leaks.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2