Saddle issues and how best to solve it?

devonroads
devonroads Posts: 584
edited July 2012 in Road general
Hi was wanting to hear some peoples view on saddles and set up and possibly other things that can influence that?
I have searched the forum about saddle sores etc.
I have got myself measured, and riding the appropriate width. I have started doing longer rides and hope to increase more in the next few months. I am riding for 3 hours currently on pretty hilly rides. I get a soreness on my right hand side, i recgonise that shorts and saddle make a big differnce but wanderd whether riding style or bike set up can influence the effectiveness of the saddle?
hope that makes sense? cheers jon

p.s currently on a test saddle situ so will be looking to try different style.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Check to be sure that you're saddle height is correct as rocking plays a big part in comfort. Also, and this may sound a bit silly, I've stopped putting my wallet in my back pocket and this has done wonders for comfort in everything from walking to sitting to riding.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • kevprimer
    kevprimer Posts: 19
    Is your saddle level? If the nose points down it can cause problems. Also moving forwards or backwards on the rails can help
  • devonroads
    devonroads Posts: 584
    Going to tweak my saddle around a bit to begin with (although have tried before and settled in the position it is in now). I got some good suggestions off another forum to. I might drop my saddle a fraction and see if this helps.
    It's just frustrating as i know loads of people ride without any issues. Might be going out later today so will see how it goes.
    Out of interest where would people be looking to postiion the widest part of the saddle? i.e do you position so your literally more or less sat on the end? or do you have is set back slightly? cheers jon
  • If it's soreness due to chafing using a chamois cream might help. I position my saddle so that when I'm in my natural riding position I'm sat on the widest part.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I tried 4 different saddles before I found one I was comfortable with, you can have the correct size and fit on paper but your bottom usually has other ideas.