And today's missile is...

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
...well, yesterday's, but it was a carton of milk (open) lobbed from a car coming in the opposite direction. Notwithstanding the horror that someone could do that, it was a good shot, hitting me in the midriff, which frankly a) scared the sh17 out of me and b) hurt

Anyone else had a similar experience of mindless thuggery on the roads?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• jonsi
    jonsi Posts: 44
    I've been hit by an egg for a car that came up behind me. They hit me in the small of the back but I think that the shock was the worst bit - not sure how I managed to keep going straight on what was a busy road!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Maybe avoid busier roads?
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Maybe avoid busier roads?

Not an option for most cyclists
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    PS not had anyone throw anything at me yet, but have had a chav spit at me as he walked by, and yesterday someone in a white van suddenly screamed a noise at me as he drove by, presumably in an attempt to make me fall off (on a busy 50mph carriageway). Mindless prats.
  • rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    Where do you guys live?
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 549
    edited July 2012
    I've never had anything thrown at me in years of cycling and wouldn't expect to either.
  • unbefuckinglievable!!!

I checked this out thinking it would be about Cavendish and today's race! FFS where do you cycle I have never had anything like that happen - the odd shout or peeping the horn (why do people do that) but never anything actually thrown - carry an air pistol and shoot the next F77ker that does it in the ass :twisted:
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
    I had an unopened can of coke thrown at me about a month ago now on Blackfen Road, between Avery Hill and Blackfen in SE London. First day I'd ridden without my helmet cam too. Chased the idiots up the road into Blackfen and attempted to take a pic of their registration number but they sussed what I was doing and drove across the pavement on the wrong side of the road to get away.

TBH, I was cruising along at 25mph when it happened and its a good job it hit me in the ribs. Anywhere else and I would have been in severe trouble. The bruising lasted a good 2 weeks.

Sad to report it also happened to a club colleague the very next day on the North Cray Road in Bexley.

Edit: going back 18 months, I was on the North Cray Road and a car passenger leant out of a car window to try and grab my handlebars as I was riding at speed. That really wasnt a pleasant experience and why I bought the helmet cam in the first place!
  • logitech208
    logitech208 Posts: 167
    I has my ass slapped by a car passenger a few weeks ago, took me a while to work out what had actually happened.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I once had what I think was a handful of small change lobbed at me by a car passenger. I think one coin hit me in the arm and another pinged off the frame of my bike.
  • hulla the hulla
    hulla the hulla Posts: 338
    edited July 2012
    I has my ass slapped by a car passenger a few weeks ago, took me a while to work out what had actually happened.
    similar, I had some diddly dee hang out the passenger window of their Ford flatbed, tarmacing, dodgy gardening, any old iron, thieving scumbag lorry, and whacked me around the bass of the spine / top of my arse cheeks with a length of electrical cable whilst passing me at possibly 30/40mph. It left me with a massive bleeding welt that looked like I'd just come back from a session with Madam Pain's dungeon !! Scared the bejesus out of me as it's a fast road and if I'd have fallen it would have been into either rough looking tree / hedgerow type stuff or worse still, middle of the road to then get run over by the next car !! #pikeyscum
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Oh and a time before was a whole tray of eggs, I know cos the tray came with 'em ! Most hit my legs but the bike was a mess. Cleaning dried on egg is a real mission, I don't know why they haven't found a better use for them, they go as hard as ceramic and stick like gorrilla snot !!

Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    enough to put you off cycling on our roads... unbelievable
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    I once had two young lads in a van, tailgate me on a fairly hard climb, draw alongside and then give me lip as they did so. I managed to signal to them to draw into the layby at the top of the climb. They did, I caught up, they got out, then regretted it. Not big or clever but it sure felt good ;-)
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    I Live in Manchester and havent had anything likee this before,,(yet)...

but i would do my best to get the reg number for sure..

these idiots need locking up for sure..
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • but i would do my best to get the reg number for sure

I did, but it was registered to a red Nissan Micra .... so...not the Ford flatbed lorry that these scummers were driving then..... :roll: Clearly they were very much the sort that does not worry about the law !

Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Lunatics :shock:

I got punched by a motorcyclist (see links below). In court with him this Friday on a charge of assualt, which he has pleaded not guilty too :|
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12845286
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58SvOSSPoSE&feature=g-upl&context=G2575448AUAAAAAAAAAA