Internal Rim widths

PLW2607
PLW2607 Posts: 6
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my wheels and I was wondering what effect the "internal rim width" has on the wheels, bike, tyre choice etc. For example, how would a 22mm internal width differ from a 25mm internal width?

Comments

• plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    As with your car, the wider tyres you fit the wider rims you need.
    Have a look at Mavic's web site to see typically how as rim width increases so recommended max tyre width increases.
    So it depends to a certain extent what tyres you want to run. If you want to run 2.25 tyres then Mavic would recommend a rim width of 21mm or so. But then £ for £, generally, wider rims mean more weight.
    A wider rim would give greater stability to the tyre and in extreme circumstances would mean the tyre would be less prone to roll off the rim.
    For me, I looked at wider rims when I wanted to fit 2.25 Advents (over my 2.1 tyres). Members on here suggested that my 717s, 17mm, (Mavic say 2.1 max width) would be fine and indeed some manufacturers spec 17mm rims with 2.25 tyres. They work fine, for me.
    If you're unsure about what to do, post on here what tyres and rims your want to use and most members will give you considered opinion.

A lot to think about. Hope this helps.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • PLW2607
    PLW2607 Posts: 6
    Thanks, that's answered most of my questions, so if I was wanting to run a 2.35 tyre (max 2.4-5) what rim size would I need?
    Thanks again :)
  • plugp7
    Personally, I would be looking at 19mm or 21mm rims depending on your application.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    In general I'd say the wider the better for rims as they balloon the tyres less making them more stable, I went from 17mm i.d. to 23mm i.d. and could notice the difference with 2.1 Crossmark rear and 2.25 Advantage front. Obviously there's a weight penalty unless you spend big bucks but then they will be stronger which is a bonus. Have a read of this article on the subject http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesd ... Burp-.html
  • plugp7
    Neal_ wrote:
    In general I'd say the wider the better for rims as they balloon the tyres less making them more stable. Obviously there's a weight penalty unless you spend big bucks but then they will be stronger which is a bonus.

Very true.
    Personally I would have to go for the lighter narrower rim and as I don't have the big bucks for the wide, strong and light option.