Saddles - do you have matching ones?

nbuuifx
nbuuifx Posts: 302
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Just had a thought,

My backside has got used to the Boardman saddle on my MTB, I've now got the road bike as well which has a Bontranger saddle on it.

Should I get matching saddles?

I went out for 10 miles on the Bontranger one yesterday - and never noticed, but feeling the two I think the bontranger one is more comfy, it feels more padded and the back is wider and spongy. The boardman one is quite thin and hard.

I'm sure I read that the thin hard ones are actually better for you in the long run, so was just worried that I might get used to the spongy bontranger one and then the boardman would be uncomfortable? Would I be better to get another boardman one for the Trek? If so does anyone know if the road saddles are the same shape etc as the MTB ones?

Comments

• rogerthecat
    rogerthecat Posts: 669
    Some outlets have sample saddles either orange or purple, my advice would be to try before you buy.
  • nbuuifx
    Thanks, if I bought one though it would be another one to match one of the ones I've got. I'd probably get another boardman one to go on the Trek.

Just wondered if people found it neccessary to have matching ones?

And if so would they go for the harder boney seat are the softer slightly wider seat?

The boardman seat is something like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman-Sadd ... 3cc93c6a3e

Can't find an exact pic of the bontranger one but it's something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENTS-BONTRAG ... 1c29881d20
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    It's not necessary to have the same saddle on each bike although I used to have the same on each bike when a medical problem necessitated me to do so when only one type of saddle addressed the situation.

Since then I have different saddles on my bikes but all are the right width for my sit bones and of a level of flex/resistance that suits me.

I don't quite understand your suggestion of a polarity between hard thin saddles and softer wider saddles as there's a vast range of saddles to cover all tastes and I certainly don't understand your intention to replace a saddle that you say is comfortable with one that's less comfortable. A saddle that is the right width for you may be more comfortable because the contact points are better supported rather than because it has less or more padding .
  • nbuuifx
    I didn't mean it was less comfortable, I have ridden the boardman saddle for the last few thousand miles and to start with it was very uncomfortable (first proper bike), but once I adjusted to it I found it very comfortable and still do. I've only had the Trek since Firday which came with a bigger spongier saddle, which I've just ridden for 30 miles with no problem what so ever. I guess I was just worried that when I go back to the boardman it may seem uncomfortable? I was also told that the thinner saddles where better for you as they put the pressure in the best places? (Or something like that?!)
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    I have different saddles depending upon what the bike is for - ie an Aliante on the bike that covers the most mileage - and a fancy carbon fibre thing when speed is the target.
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2