wheel help!

dazzzer
dazzzer Posts: 72
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Had my bike a few months now and after riding it yesterday I noticed on the back wheel there is a little left and right movement on the wheel < For some reason It only moves left and right at a certain point of the turn in the wheel it doesn’t have left and right movement all the time in the wheel .

Comments

• dazzzer
    Its not the tyre . I hold the frame and and turn the wheel till i find where it has the movment then i just hold the tyre and rim and give it a push left and right .
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So play in the bearings?

New bearings or time to adjust them.

It all depends on the hub.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dazzzer
    Yer i am new to bikes and still learning things as i go along , Do you think i should take the bearing out and try cleaning them down ?
    Also i was thinking the wheel only moves at one point when turning the wheel round the rest of the time it is solid as a rock so it could be just one bad bearing in there . If i needed new bearings is they a standard size? halfords only have 1/4" cage bearings and 3/16"
  • lordmerchant
    lordmerchant Posts: 378
    I needed some new bearings, took an old one to a local bearing shop and got about 50 new ones for a fiver! dont go to a bike specific shop they will rip you off.
  • dazzzer
    Went and got some new bearing and replaced them and it still has a little movement at one point of the wheel , I have also noticed when spining the wheel there is one place that the wheel wobbles out of line and dose not run straight . Could a buckled wheel cause a little bit of play in the wheel ?
  • nicklouse
    Play in the hub will not cause movement in one point.

A out of true rim has no bearing on the bearings.

Sounds like you need to get someone who knows to look at it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • dazzzer
    Well I know its not the bearings or a buckeled wheel , I dont know if this would be a good idea to try as a last chance but could a slightly bent wheel axle casue this problem, What i do is i start with my hand on top of the wheel and shack it then i notice small movement so then i turn the wheel a bit and it starts to go solid .
  • nicklouse
    could well be a bent axle then.