Do you buy shoes half a size bigger?

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 737
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
When buying running shoes I have always been advised to buy shoes half a size bigger than my normal shoes as your feet swell when you run. Is it the same for road bike shoes?

I am looking at the bontrager rl shoes.
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    no as with running shoes i buy the size thats fits. i would suggest you do the same unless you want uncomfortable feet
  • marin_maniac
    marin_maniac Posts: 513
    Deffo buy the size that fits.

My feet measure a 46.5 euro size. I have pretty flat feet and reasonably wide but not overly so.

I'm currently riding 48 sidi's.

They reckon you should have space equal to a thumb width between the end of your big toe and the end of the shoe.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i do seem to be in shoes half a size bigger than normal and this is the case with running shoes too, i guess a lot of it is to do with your feet swelling up while your training.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'd never buy shoes or clothes online. Go into a real bike shop and try on a few sizes. Don't forget that road shoes generally have mesh tops to keep your feet cool (often too cool in our climate!). Don't make the common mistake of doing them up too tightly as it impedes blood flow and can cause foot pain.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • dubcat
    i am going in to a bike shop to buy them - but that does not change my question. Bruce - go to any reputable running shop and they will advise you to buy shoes half a size bigger than what you think fits you as people tend to pick a fit that is right for when they are standing in the shop. Your feet DO swell when you run. I assume the same happens with bike riding but wanted to be sure hence my question.

As I say - when you try them in the shop your feet are not in the same condition they will be in when you are riding if riding does to your feet what running does.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    I dont find any heat difference in sizing between UK and Qatar - so if they fit from the box i wouldnt expect them to feel small in use.

But i dont seem to suffer the hot feet syndrome others do.

However cycling shoes do seem small to me - so I always have to buy a half size bigger than I would a normal shoe
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • I normally wear a 44.5 shoe and picked that size online for my first cycling shoes.
    After about 20 minutes with my feet swelling the shoes began to pinch and I got numb feet.

I got new shoes (from a shop this time.....) and tried on a few pairs of different sizes and even some wide fit ones from Shimano. I ended up with a Specialized in a 46 and have solved the sore feet issues.
    I think it's best to try them on in the shop. If they are uncomfortable after 5 minutes you can pretty much be certain that they will be uncomfortable after 2 hours.

Good luck finding your new pair - hope you get many enjoyable kilometres from them!
    If you ain't crashing, you ain't trying
  • dubcat
    rubberhedgehog when you say try them on in the store do you mean go out for a ride with them? Do shops allow that?

The reason I am confused is that when you try shoes on without cycling your feet will not be swollen so how can you tell what the right size is?
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    It really depends on the individual and what you are comfortable with. I have two pairs of specialized shoes, one is a 46 and the other is a 47 - both are comfortable and do not affect my riding experience.
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Dubcat wrote:
    i am going in to a bike shop to buy them - but that does not change my question. Bruce - go to any reputable running shop and they will advise you to buy shoes half a size bigger than what you think fits you as people tend to pick a fit that is right for when they are standing in the shop. Your feet DO swell when you run. I assume the same happens with bike riding but wanted to be sure hence my question.

As I say - when you try them in the shop your feet are not in the same condition they will be in when you are riding if riding does to your feet what running does.
    Have done just that many times over the years as my shoes wear out, and the shop I use, is just for runners, "Runners Edge" in Southend, I have only ever been advised to buy the size that fits this varies between brands but it is always the size that fits, and in all my years of running I have never had any issues. I also do the same thing with my cycling shoes I buy the size that fits. So my original advice stands.