Finding some where to ride ?

darrenduds20
darrenduds20 Posts: 20
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
Is there a website or anything to find somewhere good to ride near Retford , nottinghamshire

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Why not ask in the Rides section. Or find a local club.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Anton85
    Anton85 Posts: 11
    Hi im new to all this and found Sherwood Pines in nottingham and Whanrcliffe Woods in Sheffield which are in your area they look great to get started in XC, im off to Sherwood Pines tomorrow.
  • Hi mate i just found sherwwod pines on the web lol I have been watching the vidoes on youtube , it looks well good , i am going to have to get myself down there i think , the red and black route look a bit hard .
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Hmm, weird I thought I posted a reply to this - my internet thing must have had an issue.

If you hit Routes and Riding above (in the header) and log on to Bikely it is a resource of peoples routes - can be a bit hit and miss and can be a bit roadie oriented but I know I have put some of my local rides ont here in the past. Search on your area and bingo may get lucky.

Alternatively, join a local club and get shown some routes.

Ask around your local bike shops, they may be able topoint you in the right direction or may host club/store rides fromt he shop on certain evenings, great way to get shown routes, meet riders etc.

Final option, and one I enjoy is to grab an OS map and work out routes involving as much bridleway and "permissive" footpath and as little road as possible. Learn your local network of paths, work out what is a good up and whats a good down then share those routes on line to help others through Bikely or similar sites.

Somewhere like Sherwood Pines is a great way to get into riding but do not get dragged into the only ride trail centres crew when there is so much great stuff out there. From where you are look at the Peak district - some of the best riding in the UK 30-40 mins from you.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Are you from near retford?
  • MJR31
    MJR31 Posts: 9
    Hi, I'm from Retford and know quite a few local routes. I'm also a ride leader for sherwood pines cycling club, (http://www.sherwoodpinescyclingclub.co.uk) or take a look at our facebook page. plenty of rides always happening, we try and get out into the peaks and other trail centres. next ride is in the morning at 10 am if you can make it.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Are you from near retford?

If that was directed at me - No! I am from Reading area originally but now live in BC!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Bing maps is quite handy. Both for the Ordanance Survey map for paths and right of ways and the birds eye view is handy for spotting little trails and and checking out places before getting there. Ie getting totally lost...
  • Darrenduds201"]Hi, I'm from Retford and know quite a few local routes. I'm also a ride leader for sherwood pines cycling club, (http://www.sherwoodpinescyclingclub.co.uk) or take a look at our facebook page. plenty of rides always happening, we try and get out into the peaks and other trail centres. next ride is in the morning at 10 am if you can make it.[/quote]

Hi mate sorry I didn't reply I have been on holiday, I recieved your pm but for some reason it won't let me reply. That would be good to go out, it gets a bit boring on your own all the time.
  • BigAirNig
    BigAirNig Posts: 296
    Why not try Cycling Buddy website :

http://www.cyclingbuddy.com/

You can search for people by postcode, so suggest you either look where you live, or somewhere you'd like to ride ... and hook up to have them show you routes ....

Enjoy !
    Nig
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • phil.j
    phil.j Posts: 11
    sherwood pines is cool but too many dog walkers sometimes. cannock isnt too far, try there!