Upgrade current or .....

Anton85
Anton85 Posts: 11
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Just getting into the off roading days/weekends and i am using the bike below Claud Butler Stone River 2011 model bought this bike origanily to got out casually on weekends local.

Now im getting into primerily off road days/ red runs do i gradually upgrade this till its eventually all replaced with better gear or just save up and buy a decent spec bike.

Im still verry new and inexperianced so im leaning toward upgrading my current bike as hopefully the spec of my bike will grow alongside my experiance.

please give your thoughts on this subject, thanks ;-)

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/claud-bu ... 69446.html

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I'd put your money saved from upgrades into saving for a new bike.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Anton85
    Also been thinking about buying a frame and building it up as this way will increase my knowladge of bike maintainance / repairs
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is a nice idea, but very expensive to start. Maybe practice on what you have?

Is not really worth upgrading what you have (maybe except tyres, and possibly fork), but you can say strip it down and give it a good service.
  • Anton85
    Yea thats a god idea Supersonic im going to save up and wait till i find a bike that really catches my eye, ill just work on my current bike for now to lern the maintainance skills etc..
  • Hi mate. Stick on some fatter rubber for a start. This will make a world of difference and maybe a wider bar. Then as mentioned learn the basics of looking after your ride. Keep it in good order while saving up then sell it on for a reasonable price to some one starting out and then put the money towards some thing else.

This VooDoo gets lots of recommendations (great value for the money):

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Building a bike from scratch is great (just done it myself :D). HOWEVER you don't have the benefit of the massive bulk buying that the manufacturers have so you would struggle to match the spec on the VooDoo with a similar budget.

Thanks.