Joining a cycling club !

Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Good evening everyone,

Although I'm a 47 year old, 1year ex smoker,15 stone cycling returner (30years) , been cycling since November,1st on a hybrid and now a road bike. I am very curious as how I would be viewed if I was to join a cycling club in my area bearing the above in mind,upto now I've rode on my own apart from a few rides with my wife and also my son.
I have got it in my head that I might be frowned upon :-

1. For my size .

2. If I was to slow other members down.

3. To have inferior bike & clothing.

4. Not been able to attend every ride due to shift work.

5. My fitness level.

Please bare in mind this is only how I think at the present time,and if I have got this wrong and all clubs are
Very accomodating to newbies then I do apologise.

Does anybody have any thoughts on a minimum fitness / mileage level that I should have reached
Before contemplating joining a club.

Thank you for advice :) 8)

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    I doubt very much that you'd be looked down upon (and if you were, I wouldn't want to be a member of such a club). You might want to check what sorts of rides any club you're thinking of joining runs, to make sure that there's one that suits you. In the club I'm in, we try not to drop anyone on club runs, but there obviously are limits - we can't wait for someone doing 10 mph if the club run is supposed to average 16 mph. I'd also say that joining a club and going on club runs will improve your cycling no end - it certainly did mine.
  • I totally agree with Ic1981 check local club websites for details on club runs and pick one you can handle.
    If they are arsey with you move on to another club.Or if they are going beyond your limits ask them to knock it back a rev.
    To be honest I was scared of joining a club.Scared of being to slow,scared of not being liked etc etc.
    Now I wonder what I was worried about........... your speed and fitness will come faster riding with better riders.
    You won`t regret it
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    As lc said, first check what type of run the club puts on. The club I recently joined has rides from a 13mph 30 mile run with poached egg on toast in a cafe half way round, right up to 18mph average 80mile training rides. I've ridden with Cat 2 racers to a 92 year old!

There are all types of clubs for all types of people, phone them and have a chat, a good general club won't judge you and will welcome new members. Some clubs are established for a specific reason that you may not fit I to, but most clubs will have a wide variety of age, weight and riding ability.

Phone them up, have a chat and join a ride. If they're snobs what have you lost? Just say goodbye and cycle your own way home. If you enjoy it, great!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Clubs cater for all abilities and all sizes.

have a loko at this, ok, its a chaingang but look how stock the guy is in the pink rain cape at 34secs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h48RX2mJ ... BLWdIsXz5s

Clubs will have different rides for different abilities. On the slower rides, the ones noobs tend to go on, they are designed to get you used to group riding and learning basic skills and speed is expected to be slowish. The club I'm in doesnt give a monkeys about kit, be it bike or clothing, if its road worthy and you're comfy then go for it.

A club ride is just a ride with like minded people - theres no compulsion to go on any ride at all if you dont want - you can ride for a mile - hit bad weather, get bored, whatever, and turn off and go home - it;s your life.

You're fitness will improve and its one of the reasons there are normally slow/medium/fast groups, so you can judge your improvements. Also riding in a group saves massive amounts of energy and all will have a break for about 30 mins or so at a half way point.

If you're a noob turning up then rest assured there will be others who are in the same boat and the club will know this so go along and enjoy.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    You have a PM.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • I would have thought most clubs would let you tag along for a few rides without committing yourself. I'm in a similar boat, the club I was in when I was a teenager had some very clicky members and I didn't feel very welcome, especially before I had the 'right gear'. I'm sure not all clubs are like this and chances are those individuals will have moved on by now (we're talking 20 years ago!) but unfortunately it's something that's stuck in my mind and would make me hesitant about joining another club.

Depending where abouts you live, I'm sure there's a club based in Prenton, plus Birkenhead North End which is possibly one of the most well established in the country. Look them up on the net, Or take a ride out to the Eureka, I'm sure you'll enjoy the benefits of riding in a group :)
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!