French Toll Booths

Mike67
Mike67 Posts: 585
edited July 2012 in The cake stop
We're off to France (Brittany) next month but this time I'll be carrying bikes on the roof.

Does anyone know if the standard car toll booths are all 2m height restrictions? If so do I need to get behind the HGV brigade before I queue up for a ticket?

I've been before but never noticed as I've never had anything on the roof (I've also had an argument with a car park barrier here the UK in the past so keen to avoid a repeat experience :oops: )

Ta.
Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
Lots of bits

Comments

• Cannot ever remember hight barriers at toll booths in France
  • neilrobins
    neilrobins Posts: 102
    You'll be fine the ones I went thro' last month were well over car and bike
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Cheers folks.
    Just need to get a lifetime supply of clothes and two kitchen sinks in the back of the car now (AKA Mrs B packing) :D
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    wondered what happend to my bikes last time I went to france.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    We took a motorhome all the way to the Alps, last July. Went through lots of toll plazas... there are some height-restricted booths, but you'll be fine.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • renard
    renard Posts: 51
    Have taken bikes through toll booths in France on roof racks without difficulty.

There have been some really long queues at some tolls.
  • They even take credit cards. Which is more than the UK ones do :(
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    They even take credit cards. Which is more than the UK ones do :(

Given the cost, it isn't surprising.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Look for the card booths as they are quicker,give receipts and no chance of short change (although thats never happened to me, unlike here where it is prevalent).Card stops you worrying about the money draining away before you even get there.Have a great time.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Not sure about height restrictions BUT on some booths, your bikes may trigger the much higher lorry ticket slot and you ll be left looking at the lower car level one wondering where the ticket is :)

This happened to us a few yrs ago, with Kayaks on the roof
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    I always have bikes and/or a roofbox on top of our 4x4 and rarely have to choose an unrestricted height lane. There are a few but keep your eyes open on the approach and there won't be a problem. As said have, the debit card lanes are much quicker to use. You won't be asked to input your code to make them work, just put the card in, take it out and the barrier lifts and off you go.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    We've been to Brittany for the last 6 years and have never seen a toll booth (no autoroutes) so I don't think you'll need to worry about that at all. They do have height restrictors in some car parks to keep out big camper vans, as we were reminded when nipping into one to do a quick U turn on our way back to the ferry on Saturday :oops: .
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Graculus FTW - No motorways and so no tolls in Brittany! (My favourite part of France btw)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Make sure you check your change before you drive off.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,388
    Don't know if you're aware but don't forget to leave room for the Hi vis (each person), bulbs, breathalysers etc that you need and make sure that your sat nav hasn't got a speed camera detector on it . . . in my experience les gendarmes find a transgressor with a UK number plate a target worthy of particular scrutiny . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    ddraver - yes, I thought that was it.

I really like Brittany too, although living in Cornwall (I think near your old patch - Ginsters is just up the road?) it's a bit home from home. It has fewer hills though which my legs appreciate and I don't feel quite so old and knackered!