Biking and lose weight

2»

Comments

• Teece wrote:
    Surely, the only way we can tell if your legs are getting more muscular is to post pics of them...?

ok...thanks Teece!
  • dewgong wrote:
    probably just gaining muscle, do you know if you are a healthy weight or not? Try How Much Should I Weigh? and if you are within the range you do not need to worry about it.

No i really don't think i am at a healthy weight...when I started biking I was 145 I think not I am 149...and I know for sure that for my age and how tall I am I should be around 120 (I am 44 and I mesure only 5'3 an half....so I really think I should weigh around 120 ...

I while ago I got really sick for food allergie so I barely eat maybe i eat 800 cal a day where I really felt it him my body, getting weak, sheaky...feel like i was gone pass out...also in my legs I had like some kind of electic shok..really weird..so I start to re-introduce bread and all the stuff in my diet again..I feel better now not as much allergic reaction to the food but I gain weight ...and since its not very healthy I wanted it out...
  • If you have a phone download a free app called myfitnesspal. You can also have it on a computer via their website. It has a huge database and a barcode scanner for foods you eat and their calories. It has the same for exercise. It is not wholly accurate but it is a good enough rough guide for general use.

You can set yourself a goal for weight loss. If you are disciplined, put your activity and your food intake into it you can use it to track what you are doing. I have sensibly and quickly lost a good deal of weight by using this tool. Whilst I exercised reasonably I still ate like a hyperactive 20 year old ......... which equals a 40 year old 'big boned' (fat) bloke in denial until a blunt message from a surgeon friend on why my joints were very painful when exercising.

As a grown man you should not eat anything less than 1200 calories a day as below this you are starving yourself and the weight loss becomes very ineffective and possibly unhealthy as your body will naturally try to slow down it's metabolic rate. That means lethargy, inability to think properly, mood swings etc.

If you exercise you need to eat more as a normal sort of sedentary lifestyle (not complete couch potato) will burn 2000 - 2500 calories a day. So the absolute maximum you should aim at is 1200 calories less than your daily burn.

So the only difference exercise makes when dieting is that you can eat more and have a beer or two whilst doing it. But as has been said before, there are no miracle diets, not accelerators. There is only one cure for fat, less calories in than going out.

ok thanks...I will check that site too... 1 200 cal daily + more if you exercice...ok...I was going to just eat 1 200 a day even with exercices but maybe its not that good so I will increase my food intake..!!!!
  • g00se wrote:
    The pace at which you ride is also VERY important. This is a simplfied view but seems to work if you don't want to jump in with using heart rate monitors and the like:

If you predominantly cycle at about 65% of max heart rate, your body will supposedly burn fat (a bit of a sweat on but can chat to someone next to you). Much higher and you start going 'aerobic' (talking becomes laboured) and body will use the glycogen in the blood - so you need to eat as you cycle otherwise you could bonk as you run out of blood sugar. If you push yourself further you go anaerobic (just about able to grunt) and you eat into your muscle tissue.

So to loose weight consistently, an option is to get lots of miles in at a reasonably gentle pace.

I learnt this to my cost - when I started training for my first 100 miler, I was getting lots of solid miles in each week and the weight was falling off. Then I started cycling with the local club and put a lot more effort in. I got fitter up the hills but the weight stayed the same. So now, I'm going to start doing a lot more slow-steady miles again to shift some more weight before the nights draw in.

If you want to really get into using heart rate for training, have a look at: http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... sts-28838/
    oh ok...I get it...well I usually bike quite fast when i go to work since I leave late all the time and I don't want to be late at work..but when I come back I take it slower....

I had a very bad experience with a heart monitor...eeee...I actually freak me out...that thing went up to 240 bpm well of course i panick..i was not even biking i was walking with it...and I had my cell phone just by it and also walking by a big radio antana..some people think that I interfeer with the device..but because my dad died at 35 from heart attach I am very cautious about my heart and I panick..not a good thing...so..I stop using it..!!!

When I bike i not out of breath..well only if I happend to go up a hill but I think that I can speak to someone with out looking for my breath!
  • Is there a specific food you need to eat before or after you bike?
    or have gatorade during biking is this ok?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    mattshrops wrote:
    frenchmaid wrote:
    frenchmaid wrote:
    xpc316e wrote:
    The only method of losing weight is to use more calories than you eat. You can cycle hundreds of km a week, but if you are eating too much, you'll put on weight.

When you start to ride some of your energy is used to build muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. That means your weight loss will not be dramatic. You just need to eat sensibly and continue to ride; the weight will drop in time.
    Just to correct you and the others there. 1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle - by volume only is muscle heavier (15%) denser that fat.

Carry on.

Ok ....so 1 lbs and fat and 1lbs of muscle weigh the same on a scale..????
    What kind of retarded question is that? Of course they do!

Well for your information..to me its not a retarded question...first of all...I am french..I still try to understand english..so...It would be nice that you don't say that I ask retarded questions i am just trying to understand what people are saying!!!!!!!...THANKS...
    The question was retarded,it actually gave you the answer.

Dont keep digging -you wrong :shock:
    eh?
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    frenchmaid wrote:
    Is there a specific food you need to eat before or after you bike?

there is no need for a gatorade if you are cycling for a short distance ie under 90mins. your body wont burn any fat if it is getting a vast new supply of sugar. I personally just drink water on a ride, then eat afterwards, with a healthy balanced meal, or if I don't have time a protein shake.

For me I found when I first started cycling to and from work I was hungry more and ate loads more and lost nothing. After a month I went on a low carb diet on top of cycling and have lost 21lbs in 17 weeks.
  • anthdci wrote:
    frenchmaid wrote:
    Is there a specific food you need to eat before or after you bike?

there is no need for a gatorade if you are cycling for a short distance ie under 90mins. your body wont burn any fat if it is getting a vast new supply of sugar. I personally just drink water on a ride, then eat afterwards, with a healthy balanced meal, or if I don't have time a protein shake.

For me I found when I first started cycling to and from work I was hungry more and ate loads more and lost nothing. After a month I went on a low carb diet on top of cycling and have lost 21lbs in 17 weeks.

ok...thanks..my ride is about 1:20 min it vary between that and 1:10 min...one way...I was thinking gatorade since I really sweat a lots...when I am done my face is also red like a tomatoes...lol...I always been like that do..my doc said its normal when I exercices for my so ....but ya...I was thinking gatorade because of it..but...ok...I will try just water!

• wilshawk
    wilshawk Posts: 119
    Agree with those who emphasized that its really about how much you eat, not about how much you excercise. I have lost weight doing no excercise at all. To lose weight I believe that you must go hungry at some point, youre going to have to feel that rumble in your stomach and deny yourself food. Personally I do this without even realising when I become glued to my computer for x hours and barely eat in this time. Mental distractions/entertainments make it much easier to ignore hunger.
  • wilshawk wrote:
    Agree with those who emphasized that its really about how much you eat, not about how much you excercise. I have lost weight doing no excercise at all. To lose weight I believe that you must go hungry at some point, youre going to have to feel that rumble in your stomach and deny yourself food. Personally I do this without even realising when I become glued to my computer for x hours and barely eat in this time. Mental distractions/entertainments make it much easier to ignore hunger.

ok thanks...I have a little problem..I love sweet...not as much anymore since i realise that it cause lot of health problem but its very hard to control...very addictif...lol...If I don't eat anything sweet for 2 weeks then I am good I really don't crave it..but as soon as I put something in my mouth that taste sweet well i have to start again.. jee..!!! lol
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Just to add to this thread from last month, whilst on holiday I have been reading a very interesting book on this subject called The Obesiy Epidemic by Zoe Harcombe. Take a read here http://www.zoeharcombe.com/ It really is enlightening, especially ripping to shreds these long held, but non-scientifically based concepts such as "1 pound of fat equals 3500 calories, therefore eat 500 calories less than your BMR to lose a pound a week." read it to find out why this is tosh!

It has changed my view on long held beliefs and dietary advice as pumped out by governments and other bodies. You simply won't believe how much of this stuff is pure bunkum and based on flawed studies from decades ago. We are all getting fatter despite the population broadly following the governments dietary advice to reduce saturated fats and base our diets around carbohydrate. It is carbs, especially processed carbs and hollow sugar that get stored as fat when not burned off and the food industry just churns out more and more such junk at rock bottom prices. There is nothing wrong with nature's food supply of meat and fat, vegetables and fruit, nuts, seeds etc etc. Zoe explains the science of how our bodies deal with the various foods, macro and micro nutrients and delves deep into all the studies that governments have based their dietary advice around. When she questions their sources and then points out the flaws in their data or methods and conclusions she just meets a brick wall. Why? Because the food industry execs sit on half the boards that pump this info out, like the Food Standards Agency! Unbelievable.

So, cut down massively on the carbs, cook real food from scratch having bought good quality ingredients and up your protein and fat intake!

PP
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    atkins has been doing this for years. I did it for 3 months this year and lost 2 stone. But you have no energy. The best way is to eat a varied diet of different carbs, fats and proteins, mixed with lots of exercise, cycling being ideal as it is low impact for your joints.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I don't think anyone is advocating not eating any carbs....it is simply that anyone who has extra pounds, especially around their middle, shut cut down on the carbs and certainly don't follow the dietary advice that is pumped out by the various 'authorities' on this subject to eat a carb rich and low fat diet...

Fuelling your exercise is a related subject, but will require a different approach to carbs. You certainly don't need to eat a huge plate of pasta the night before a 30 mile ride and then drink sports drinks throughout your ride with a couple of gels!

PP
  • DB100
    DB100 Posts: 258
    Hi Mate
    It depends what you want. I haven't read your starting weight, that also makes a difference.
    My advice, weigh once a week only, same time, it's better to weigh in afternoon. The morning will always give a lighter result for reasons we'll not go into.
    Move more, eat the same = you will lose weight
    Move more, eat less = you will lose weight faster
    But, stop, don't ride regularly enough dip in and out = no change.
    It really has nothing to do with weight, it has everything to do with the mind, you have to change your entire mindset. Trust me, I know.
    But stick at it and this will happen, you will feel fitter, happier, healthier in a reasonably short period of time, it might not get easier but you will get faster. The route that takes 30 mins will suddenly be down to 25 and so on.
    The route I ride regularly is a 900ft climb of 4 to 20% straight out of my front door, I have knocked 14 minutes off my original time in a few weeks.
    The other tip is use the tape measure, it will show the difference the scale might not.
    Hips, waist, thighs, chest, arms. You will see the change.
    Good luck
  • DB100
    DB100 Posts: 258
    anthdci wrote:
    atkins has been doing this for years. I did it for 3 months this year and lost 2 stone. But you have no energy. The best way is to eat a varied diet of different carbs, fats and proteins, mixed with lots of exercise, cycling being ideal as it is low impact for your joints.

Atkins also had a heart attack, I know that didn't kill him, a brain injury did that.
    If you want a low carb plan Dukan is better, but to be honest they are hard to stick at.
    It is very true what previous posters have stated, refined carbs are a real problem, cheap, nutritionally incomplete and typically with a high GI.
    Avoid, white bread, refined pasta ( unless you are training hard and need to replenish glycogen).
    Low fat meals often replace fat with sugar so beware.
    I make whole meal naan bread when I have a curry, it s easy and nice to eat.
    Historically though, there is a direct correlation with the mass production of food and weight gain, salt, sugar, fat, all cheap and maximise profit. ( a whole other debate that one)
  • DB100 wrote:
    anthdci wrote:

Atkins also had a heart attack, I know that didn't kill him, a brain injury did that.
    If you want a low carb plan Dukan is better, but to be honest they are hard to stick at.
    It is very true what previous posters have stated, refined carbs are a real problem, cheap, nutritionally incomplete and typically with a high GI.
    Avoid, white bread, refined pasta ( unless you are training hard and need to replenish glycogen).
    Low fat meals often replace fat with sugar so beware.
    I make whole meal naan bread when I have a curry, it s easy and nice to eat.
    Historically though, there is a direct correlation with the mass production of food and weight gain, salt, sugar, fat, all cheap and maximise profit. ( a whole other debate that one)
    He was also obese. Funnily enough after following his own diet (the second incarnation because the first IIRC claimed lives)