TT bike for all rounder??

jimbo0023
jimbo0023 Posts: 96
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
hey all,

i'd like to upgrade my ride and quite like the look of the moda mossa

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2012_Bike

ive never owned a TT bike before so question is any reason why this cant be my bike for general riding?

i do ride lots but due to work/kids it's rare for me to get out for more than a couple of hours and it's all main road stuff. my current steed is a carrera TDF (owned for aboyt 12 months now).

seen the moda in the flesh today and really like the look of it. just not sure about those bars... :D

Comments

• Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    jimbo0023 wrote:
    hey all,

ive never owned a TT bike before so question is any reason why this cant be my bike for general riding?

i do ride lots but due to work/kids it's rare for me to get out for more than a couple of hours and it's all main road stuff. my current steed is a carrera TDF (owned for aboyt 12 months now).

seen the moda in the flesh today and really like the look of it. just not sure about those bars... :D

It's up to you whether you want to ride it all the time or not. What I would be weary of is if you are riding it in traffic since the handling is not as good as a road bike. In addition to this your knackers may not appreciate riding in a TT position everywhere. Trying it out is probably your best bet, the whole idea of a TT bike is to get into a really aggressive position and stay aero but this may not keep you comfortable on long rides. Are you planning on keeping the Carrera too?

Personally since there are hills everywhere and not many major roads where I am i'd stick with a road bike, I ride TT's and even that isn't enough reason for me to get a TT bike as my new one (my current bike is in pieces after a collision with a car!). But each to their own and you may love riding like it.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    No reason why you can't ride it all the time, it's not something I'd choose to do, simply because the position, while fine for racing on, is a little "full on" for all round riding.
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    Oh and to add to the comment above, bare in mind if you plan to do any road races or ride in sportives there are usually restrictions on whether you can actually use a TT bike in them.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    thought about a carbon tt bike from ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3k-Carbon-Tri ... 851wt_1165
  • Mikelancs
    Mikelancs Posts: 99
    This is exactly the scenario ive just been through, tbh the tt bikes arent designed for everything and your be better getting a decent bike for you money then just converting it to TT as and when otherwise if you get a TT bike you stuck with it and the riding position just sint practical day in day out.
    Im planning on TTs next year and was going to get a TT bike but decided for what its worth in hilly Lancs, id get a normal road bike then get a TT bike nextyear when Ive gotten fit enough and know ill get the most out of TT bike alone.
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3
  • Garlick
    Garlick Posts: 3
    Trying it out is probably your best bet, the whole idea of a TT bike is to get into a really aggressive position and stay aero but this may not keep you comfortable on long rides.g.gif
  • jimbo0023
    Thanks for all the comments. Plenty to think about there...

Think I will try and get a ride on one for an hour and see what I think. Can the seat position be adjusted to make the ride less extreme when doing more town riding.?

I may keep the tdf but was thinking of swapping for a flat bar hybrid for more country path stylee riding with the family.
    Any comments on the actual bike as looks lovely but I'm no bike expert...
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    Would a Cube Aerium pro suit your needs.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • jimbo0023
    Looks perfect but 50% more expensive and unfortunately out of the cycle to work magic £1000 range :cry:
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Seriously - you really wont be wanting a full on TT bike for general riding. There's a good reason nobody rides them every day! You'd end up regretting it if you buy one -i've little doubt.

One of my club mates rides his TT bike all the time mind - but when your name is Andy Wilkinson then you can get away with it (and he changes the wheels for standard ones with big fat hybrid sized slicks for club rides)
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Mike39496 wrote:
    jimbo0023 wrote:
    hey all,

It's up to you whether you want to ride it all the time or not. What I would be weary of is if you are riding it in traffic since the handling is not as good as a road bike. In addition to this your knackers may not appreciate riding in a TT position everywhere. Trying it out is probably your best bet, the whole idea of a TT bike is to get into a really aggressive position and stay aero but this may not keep you comfortable on long rides. Are you planning on keeping the Carrera too?

Personally since there are hills everywhere and not many major roads where I am i'd stick with a road bike, I ride TT's and even that isn't enough reason for me to get a TT bike as my new one (my current bike is in pieces after a collision with a car!). But each to their own and you may love riding like it.

This.

It's worth paying attention to the handling during TT events (eg prologues); these aren't bikes for inner city commuting or traffic! I'm not sure that I'd rely on a pure TT bike to be all that much safer than a track bike (sans brakes). That one you're interested in isn't the most hardcore in that respect perhaps, but nevertheless I would consider the purchase very carefully.

That and it limits your options if you want to enter any events.

To be honest, I'd be inclined to get some cheap aero extensions for your existing bike before you go any further. That and I'm a glutton for punishment and I'm not sure that I would want to be confined to that position for all of my cycling.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    One of my club mates rides his TT bike all the time mind - but when your name is Andy Wilkinson then you can get away with it (and he changes the wheels for standard ones with big fat hybrid sized slicks for club rides)

To be fair, Andy's bike isn't really a traditional TT bike..........

I am riding a 12hr next weekend, and I plan to keep myself amused by counting the times Andy passes me :), if we get a good day, I reckon he'll break the comp record for 12hr 8)
  • jimbo0023
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll have a ride of the Mossa with drop bars (winstanleys have both) and look for some aero bars to add. Any comments on the bike? The bike radar review looks ok and I'm happy to take a chance on the relatively new equipment.
    As I said before most of my rides are short blasts so not too worried about long distance comfort. :)
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    jimbo0023 wrote:
    Looks perfect but 50% more expensive and unfortunately out of the cycle to work magic £1000 range :cry:
    Good point.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp