Zipp 404 rims

keyser__soze
keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
edited August 2012 in Road general
Hi

Anyone know if it's possible to source Zipp 404 rims? Looking for a front alu clincher after the missus put a small crack in hers in a massive crash during a road race - only 6-weeks/100miles-old :( Took the wheel to the LBS and apparently the importers have quoted £530 for a replacement rim/rebuild, which is more expensive than a complete new wheel online. Not happy given it appears people in the US are quoted $400 for a new rim/rebuild and I bought the wheels given the apparent reasonable crash replacement policy.

Thanks
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Comments

• keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Thanks, already looking at possibly rebuilding with Gigantex 60mm rims from wheelsmith but she really wants to keep an alu braking surface.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • qeaou
    qeaou Posts: 43
    A bit off topic,
    (I always wanted zipp carbons)
    but i settled on Pro-lite carbons and am extremely happy (carbon clinchers)
    --
    Riding along!
  • Snap (quite literally)

Cracked the brake surface on 3 month old 404 firecrest tubular. LBS sent it back to importers who want £650 :shock: for new rim and rebuild.

I too have seen the $400 crash replacement in the US, so emailed Zipp direct to ask if their UK importer was just trying to rip me off.

They bleated on about exchange rates and import duty. $400 to £650? I think they must be confusing GBP with lire.

Will be sending off to Wheelsmith to see if he can put a Gigatex rim on.

Zipp - nice wheels, cr@p customer service (in uk at least, Fisher Outdoor Leisure ltd)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've successfully repaired carbon rims where there's damage to the brake tracks - provided the crack doesn't structurally compromise the wheel rim. The carbon repair 'experts' won't go near anything on the brake track either.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    I've also done quite a few wheel repairs- it can be done. Post some pics up?
  • qeaou
    qeaou Posts: 43
    All of the valuable posts perhaps raise the discussion of carbon tubular vs carbon clinchers?
    --
    Riding along!