GPS for bikes. Why is it so hideously expensive?

dragonontheedge
dragonontheedge Posts: 496
edited August 2012 in Road general
Garmin Edge 800 £339.99 (Evans with discounted price)

Garmin Nuvi 30 in car sat nav with mapping for UK, ROI and Western Europe £79.99 (Halfords with discounted price)

Surely the 800 with training tools, workout data, a mount (oh hang on the Nuvi 30 will have one also) and a heart rate monitor (Garmin Premium Heart Rate Transmitter £44.99) does not warrant a price premium of £260.

What am I missing ?
Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!

Comments

• dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    What am I missing ?

A basic understanding of business?
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    The fact that bike GPS's can run for 12+hrs on batteries, and car one's can't?
  • The fact that the GPS chips in a Garmin are very low power, volume and weight for a given sensitivity and car ones are not?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Garmin 800 has different, smaller, form factor, smaller sales therefore less demand, is water proof (resistant anyway) and resistant to vibrations from cycling.

Its not about how much it costs to make, its about how much the public are prepared to pay for it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Its mostly the fact they need decent, reliable rechargeable batteries, that's why decent lights are so expensive too.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Technological differences aside, they charge as much as they can get away with. Until recently Garmin had a virtual monopoly in the bike GPS market, whereas competition is strong in the car satnav segment. Be interesting to see if the introduction of devices from Holux and Bryton makes a difference.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    I just use a standard etrex legend gps and keep my nav non bike specific. Much cheaper and runs on aa batts. Not as neat or sexy though, but works for me.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Also search around a bit, the garmin can be had for less
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    What about the Garmin Legend ? I bought one for just over £100 and it does everything I want (i.e. stop me getting lost).
  • Garmin records your data and you can use Connect.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Software development costs a ton and bike GPS units usually do more stuff, hence more coding and testing.

Making things smaller is more expensive.

Far more car GPSs are sold, therefore R&D costs are diluted more, hence bike GPS units cost more.

Magnets, sensors, wireless broadcasting technology, waterproofing, battery life.

When you look at a cheap car GPS it does practically bugger all compared to a bike one.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Garmin need to charge so much because they need to spend money fixing all the bugs in the 800. Shop around you can get the 800 for under 300 with hr and cadence. It's a fantastic unit though and you can make up a bat extender for under £10. Don't waste money on the extra bat or os maps. You can get open maps for free