Camping on Sawyers Hill tonight

vermin
vermin Posts: 1,739
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Not quite, but any opinions on when one would be wise to arrive in order to bag a decent pitch at the top of the climb?

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    vermin wrote:
    Not quite, but any opinions on when one would be wise to arrive in order to bag a decent pitch at the top of the climb?

early would be my hunch even then I would guess RP will get chocka, 5/6am already signs saying no camping.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    vermin wrote:
    Could you let me know where you are and what you look like? I'll be there about 10ish, I'll bring tea if it helps. :lol:
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    vermin wrote:

Not that that the pros will make it look like a climb, TBH. :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Greg66 wrote:
    vermin wrote:

This is so true. We watched the test event at Sawyers and they breezed up at around 30mph, hands on the tops, chatting amongst themselves like it was a Sunday ride. Rather humbling.
  • Gussio
    Oh....and somebody on LFGSS did a back of fag packet calculation showing that Wiggins' average speed over The Tour would give him a Richmond Park 3-lap time of around 48mins. That is average speed over the whole Tour. Ouch.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    and gven that avergae time included climbing few mountains, unless Richmond park has sprouted some hors category cols since I last looked, I thik he'd be a lot quicker than 48 mins
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Gussio
    Exactly. It helps bring pro performance into perspective.
  • vermin
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Could you let me know where you are and what you look like? I'll be there about 10ish, I'll bring tea if it helps. :lol:

Look out for a tall, dark, handsome chap of athletic build and clear signs of good breeding somewhere at the top of the 'climb'/apex of the slight bend. I may be wearing my Dynamo top and a black/pink rapha cap. Tea would be very welcome. :D
    Greg66 wrote:
    vermin wrote:

I'm about 90% confident I saw Gregory Bauge blast up it yesterday (it was certainly a black chap in French kit, riding with the French team, and he didn't look dissimilar to Bauge) - I've never seen anyone go uphill at 40mph before!
  • veronese68
    vermin wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Look out for a tall, dark, handsome chap of athletic build and clear signs of good breeding somewhere at the top of the 'climb'/apex of the slight bend. I may be wearing my Dynamo top and a black/pink rapha cap. Tea would be very welcome. :D
    I can imagine the headline: "Man with flask of tea assaulted for calling someone Vermin"
  • vermin
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I can imagine the headline: "Man with flask of tea assaulted for calling someone Vermin"

Ha! That's funny, although it's not a particularly unusual reaction to the Dynamo top.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    now the choice of username becomes clear :P
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    A little surprised that so many plan on going to RP, won't it be rammed? I'm gonna head out into Surrey on the bike and get a spot on the loop somewhere, hopefully that'll be quieter by dint of being harder to get to, plus you get to see the peloton a few times.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,682
    A little surprised that so many plan on going to RP, won't it be rammed? I'm gonna head out into Surrey on the bike and get a spot on the loop somewhere, hopefully that'll be quieter by dint of being harder to get to, plus you get to see the peloton a few times.

Sshhh! Keep it down, or they'll all follow us.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Gussio
    RP works when you live next door and have two kids to drag around....

Rode the course this morning - there are loads of great viewing all along the route. Guess that the trick will be to avoid the places where there are barriers up (there are lots, and lots, and lots of these...) because that is where they are expecting crowds?
  • vermin
    Depends what you want to get out of it. I enjoy immensely watching the nuances of the peleton at close quarters on TV every day during the Giro and the Tour; what I miss out on is the atmosphere of a big crowd cheering them on. I reckon (hope) there will be a greater sense of occasion in RP than further south (Box Hill excepted). Will be watching the race unfold around Box Hill on telly. Personally, I think it's going to be brill from wherever one views it.

Plus the missus isn't in the cycling gang (yet) so travel to deepest, darkest would be awkward.
  • veronese68
    Gussio wrote:
    This. The boy is big enough and bad enough to drag further afield. My wife and daughter are not interested enough to go far, but want to enjoy the spectacle.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Chance would be a fine thing.

The missus has kindly organised a visit from a mortgage advisor between 11-12 tomorrow morning... sigh!

Not happy at all seeing as I can probably find a better deal than what he can and its in the middle of one of only 3 events that I actually wanna watch!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Gussio wrote:

Rode the course this morning - there are loads of great viewing all along the route. Guess that the trick will be to avoid the places where there are barriers up (there are lots, and lots, and lots of these...) because that is where they are expecting crowds?

Ah, how barrier-tastic is it around Headley/Tot Hill? Hoping to ride up to one of the junctions around there...
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    It goes past my front door. I plan to fall of bed and wave a flag as they go past at 30mph. :)

At least I made an effort and got the flag with the three legs on.
  • bdave262000
    bdave262000 Posts: 270
    I will be taking the whole family (3 kids and wife) to RP. smallest on the bike seat, middle one in the trailor and eldest on his own bike.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    What time are they expected to finish the race?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    WHERE ARE THEY WHEN? TIMINGS FOR MEN'S AND WOMEN'S ROAD RACES

Men’s Road Race, Saturday 28 July

The Mall - START 10am

Hampton Court Palace - 10.35am

Walton-on-Thames - 10.45am

Ripley Village - 11.05am

Gomshall - 11.25am

Westcott - 11.30am

Dorking - 11.35am

Box Hill - circuit entrance 11.40am

Box Hill - circuit exit 2.50pm

Esher - 3.05pm

Hampton Court Palace - 3.10pm

Kingston Upon Thames - 3.15pm

Richmond Park - 3.20pm

Putney Bridge - 3.30pm

Fulham - 3.35pm

The Mall - FINISH 3.40pm
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    http://www.celebratewoking.info/getwest ... ntent.aspx Easy train ride from Waterloo, etc.
  • Gussio
    Ah, how barrier-tastic is it around Headley/Tot Hill? Hoping to ride up to one of the junctions around there...

You might not have much luck around Headley - there are barriers, a grandstand outside a pub and large section cordoned off for cycling clubs. This morning, Headley cricket green had a fair quanity of tents and camper vans on it. Looked like it was where people who haven't got tickets for Box Hill will be heading for (or already are in the case of campers...).
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Gussio wrote:

You might not have much luck around Headley - there are barriers, a grandstand outside a pub and large section cordoned off for cycling clubs. This morning, Headley cricket green had a fair quanity of tents and camper vans on it. Looked like it was where people who haven't got tickets for Box Hill will be heading for (or already are in the case of campers...).

What is the story with Box Hill? Is it closed off if you haven't got a ticket? Is it just a free-for-all in terms of where you watch (just along the road I guess)?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Anyone know if one of the new BBC channels they have added will be showing EVERYTHING from 10am, as opposed to just the last hour or so?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    okgo wrote:
    Anyone know if one of the new BBC channels they have added will be showing EVERYTHING from 10am, as opposed to just the last hour or so?

I think almost everything. Would suspect the cycling as it's one of the first events we have a good chance of medalling in. It's my first logging shift for archive tomorrow, but unfortunately I've been given Sailing. :|
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Gussio wrote:
    Headley cricket green had a fair quanity of tents and camper vans on it. Looked like it was where people who haven't got tickets for Box Hill will be heading for (or already are in the case of campers...).

Headley Cricket Club is ticketed and only open to those who've pre-booked places, and they're full, so don't head there or you'll be disappointed

http://www.headleycricket.co.uk/general ... ycle-race/
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"