This Bike Makes Me a Bit Horny....

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,439
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
But is it any good?

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/kili-cromo-2

Winstanley's have them for £780

A good bike for trail centres and general not too extreme tom-foolery? Would mostly get used around FtD with occasional jaunts over the monkey.

I'm getting really confused about what kind of bike to buy whether XC, Trail, Hardcore hardtail, XC full sus or trail full sus for less than a grand.

Also been looking at the Rockrider 9.1 in the full sus stakes.

Any other advice welcome. Basically I need someone to tell me what bike to buy.
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would seek professional help or get a girlfriend.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    What does the Kili Flyer Ti do then?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • prawny

You don't want to know.

And I'm married, with two kids. That's why bikes make me horny. Safer innit.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cooldad
    prawny wrote:

You don't want to know.

And I'm married, with two kids. That's why bikes make me horny. Safer innit.
    I don't know, having a girlfriend might get you divorced but it's better than this guy
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • prawny
    Ha! I'm changing my avatar!

Anyone have an opinion on the bike? Or what bike I should get?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    prawny wrote:
    Ha! I'm changing my avatar!

Anyone have an opinion on the bike? Or what bike I should get?
    not seen one before, but its a nice looking bike with a good spec for that money
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    I feel I've been cheated here, clinked the link expecting something special. I'm sure it's reasonable for the money but horny?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Woody80 wrote:
    I feel I've been cheated here, clinked the link expecting something special. I'm sure it's reasonable for the money but horny?
    he maybe one of those people that certain colours do something to them :wink::lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    prawny wrote:
    Would mostly get used around FtD with occasional jaunts over the monkey.

You really need to get out a bit more if all your riding is at Cannock. I don't like trail centres and I think Cannock is the least inspiring I have been to.
  • prawny
    prawny wrote:

You really need to get out a bit more if all your riding is at Cannock. I don't like trail centres and I think Cannock is the least inspiring I have been to.

That may be, but I can ride from my house to the dog and back covering less than a mile on tarmac. I've got kids so full days out are a no go but a lap of the dog can be done before breakfast.

I've got to make do with what I've got, are you going to suggest a £3000 bike as well while you're at it? :roll:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rockmonkeysc
    prawny wrote:
    prawny wrote:

That may be, but I can ride from my house to the dog and back covering less than a mile on tarmac. I've got kids so full days out are a no go but a lap of the dog can be done before breakfast.

I've got to make do with what I've got, are you going to suggest a £3000 bike as well while you're at it? :roll:

I have a wife & two young children but manage to get out once a week at least (usuallytwice). There are trails within a mile of my house but I make a point of getting out somewhere more exciting once a fortnight at least.
    That Saracen does not make me horny. Partly because it's a bicycle but also it's a fairly average steel hardtail and there are plenty of other steel xc hardtails I would buy rather than that one such as the Ragley Pig X, On One 456 evo, Charge Duster, Orange Pure 7 & Genesis Latitude.
  • prawny
    prawny wrote:
    prawny wrote:

I have a wife & two young children but manage to get out once a week at least (usuallytwice). There are trails within a mile of my house but I make a point of getting out somewhere more exciting once a fortnight at least.
    That Saracen does not make me horny. Partly because it's a bicycle but also it's a fairly average steel hardtail and there are plenty of other steel xc hardtails I would buy rather than that one such as the Ragley Pig X, On One 456 evo, Charge Duster, Orange Pure 7 & Genesis Latitude.

Thank you are there any reason's you'd pick the other over the Kili, for the type of riding I'd be doing and for the cash. I'd looked at the 456 evo, but I'm concerned it's be more fun somewhere I wouldn't be using it really and the Pig X is over budget too. I like the look of the the other three but the spec doesn't seem as good for the cash, any reason you'd go for them over the Saracen at £770? I know Saracen went a bit shit a few years years ago. Like the one I've got. :lol: But they got a few good reviews over the last couple of years.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rockmonkeysc
    Sorry, not the Pig X, I meant the Piglet. The 456 evo is a blast to ride anywhere. The Charge is just the best frame I have ever ridden, feels like a steel hardtail should. The Orange also has an excellent frame, a little heavy but a great ride. The Saracen is ok for the money but it wouldn't be my choice.
  • prawny
    Cheers for that, I've always been keen on the duster, I grew up with steel hard tails and I love the look of them, which to be fair is pretty much the main thing innit, I like the piglet too, I'll have a look what I can find.

I could do with having a go on the 456, it's so massively different to anything I've ridden before.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Is this another of those threads where someone says that a bike they've not ridden is not going to be as good as other bike (frames) that they have not ridden, and decries another rider for not behaving the same as them?

Business as usual then.
  • Garlick
    Garlick Posts: 3
    I feel I've been cheated here, clinked the link expecting something special.g.gif
  • Woody80
    Garlick wrote:
    I feel I've been cheated here, clinked the link expecting something special.g.gif
    Did you really just copy and paste my comment complete with typo?! Why?
  • cooldad
    Seems to happen regularly - I think it's a spambot. Some forums you need a certain number of posts before you can add links. Mods might know.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • That sarecen is one tasty looking bike :)

My 456 summer season (see signature) is awesome to ride, but may not be as xc orientated as you want :p
    Also only available as a frame I believe...

However if you were able to push your budget up slightly there are various other options, personally I would go for a long travel hardtail as they are just so fun to ride... the orange crush looks like a great bike for the money, especially if you can get it for 1200 here:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/orange-crush-mountain-item179003.html

Got some great parts, those fox forks look pretty sweet too. Would be pretty good for xc and AM, not too slack as well. Shame its not as good looking as the saracen.
    Specialized Hardrock 06
    On One 456 Summer Season 2010 neon orange!

“…get it in your head, then there’s nothing else important for the next couple of hours than getting that particular line done…” – Danny MacAskill
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    prawny wrote:
    This Bike Makes Me a Bit Horny....

I think there is something wrong here...
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Very similar geometry to a Cove Handjob (which I own) and I'd say is a cracking compliant xc hardtail with just the right amount of whip and fun.

In a similar vein I'd look at the Ragley piglet which at CRC's sale rates now is an Effin' bargain! http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=62607
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Ok I will stick my hand up, I think it looks pretty damn good, kind of classic clean steel lines. Saracens have had up and downs but the Kili has seemed to get good reviews constantly over the years. Hand on shouldn't I be recommending what ever the cool kids are riding these days?? Dammit

Cannock is the least inspiring place eh.......you've quite clearly never been to sherwood pines, sure there are better places but it's pretty damn good when it's on your door step. It's my back up ride, if I can't get anywhere else with time and family commitments I nearly always squeeze Cannock in, having the pretty cheap annual car park pass is handy too.

For that kind of money I would say the merlin malt bikes are pretty good, mine did a bang up job round Cannock too. At the end of the day most people will try and give you some marketing executives crappy mission statement about the reason they bought the bike they have but it nearly always boils down to price and if the bike looks good to them.............seriously it could be the best bike in the world but you just don't like the look of it it will turn out to be 'keeper'
    Blood, Sweat and 21 Gears...wait...no 27....30...arse 2x10?

Specialized Hardrock, 1997 Marin Nail Trail - current
    Giant Glory Merlin Malt 2 Big Hit Expert Marin B-17 Marin Nail Trail Diamondback Topanga - Gone but not forgotten
  • prawny
    Cheers BoaderGreen and Paul.skibum. I'm still looking, I was just wondering if there was any reason to discount the saracen off the bat, it's staying on the short list then, along with a piglet, 456 evo/inbred, Rockrider 9.1 and the Vistus escarpe too (if I could get that sort of cash together, I dont think CRC take cyclescheme)

I know what you mean about the chase, I've done a lap of the dog already this morning and I was back before 7. I don;t particularly like where I live, but it's pretty handy for some 'decent' riding.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Woody80
    prawny wrote:
    I know what you mean about the chase, I've done a lap of the dog already this morning and I was back before 7. I don't particularly like where I live, but it's pretty handy for some 'decent' riding.
    Cannock is fine for a pretty reasonable ride, being on the doorstep is pretty handy as well. It's about my closest reasonable riding - about 45 mins away which is an ar$e.

Peaks are well worth a venture for 'proper riding', although it can be a gamble if you find the decent stuff or get a rubbish ride with long slogs up and poor descents!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Woody80 wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    I know what you mean about the chase, I've done a lap of the dog already this morning and I was back before 7. I don't particularly like where I live, but it's pretty handy for some 'decent' riding.
    Cannock is fine for a pretty reasonable ride, being on the doorstep is pretty handy as well. It's about my closest reasonable riding - about 45 mins away which is an ar$e.

Peaks are well worth a venture for 'proper riding', although it can be a gamble if you find the decent stuff or get a rubbish ride with long slogs up and poor descents!

It's not a gamble if you use a proper mtb guide book. There are loads of route guides for the peaks and they all have a good variety of decent routes all of which in my experience take in some of the best. I agree if you juts drive to the peaks and set off up a bridleway at random you are asking for trouble.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Woody80 wrote:
    Peaks are well worth a venture for 'proper riding',
    Take that stick from up your arris - it's all playing with bikes, who cares whether you're on a waymarked trail, or an unmarked trail.
  • cooldad
    I quite enjoy a spot of 'improper' riding, but such things should be kept in Crudcatcher.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Woody80
    Woody80 wrote:
    Peaks are well worth a venture for 'proper riding',
    Take that stick from up your arris - it's all playing with bikes, who cares whether you're on a waymarked trail, or an unmarked trail.
    Woah woah woah! There's no stick to be seen here, the quotations were because other people wouldn't call trail centres proper. I'm a big fan, especially of Cannock since I ride there twice a week. I completely agree its all playing around with bikes whether it's battering around a trail centre or spending a day in the wilderness.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Well stop giving credence to, and repeating, the small minded view of the world then.
  • Woody80
    'twas but a bit of sarcasm relating to an earlier post in this thread :?