Institutionalised

dylanfernley
dylanfernley Posts: 409
edited July 2012 in The cake stop
Met some 'tourists' the other day, after some small talk somehow got onto the subject of work, one guy says he's really worried about his job, worked all his life is now 56, and thinks if he loses it will never get another.i try and tell him that you can't see round corners, but he is adamant, turns out he was in the royal navy for twenty years, says he cried when he left and was now in 'civvy' street. I mentioned that due to being institutionalised in the services he was having difficulty adjusting..... he was very offended by this term, i explained it was a term to describe a certain way of living but he would not listen, i even told him that i to had been through this... to no avail.
His companion was by this time trying to show him i meant no offence but he was not listenening to any reasoning, his blood was up and he seemed locked in to defence/offence mode-- felt sorry for the guy, he seemed genuine but was still very much institutionalised.......

Comments

• buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    ... but he is Adam Ant....
    Didn't know he was a sailor boy :wink:
    IGMC
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    Classic case of (a ) institutionalisation, and (b) a word or phrase taking on a different connotation from it's original or true meaning. The guy probably believes that institutionalisation only refers to outmoded "old peoples homes" where the residents sit in "their chairs" watching TV all day and are rounded up and fed at strict times and the whole place is organised for staff convenience. Alternatively, he may few ex prisoners as being institutionalised having been subjugated by years of strict order and all decisions being effectively made for them by others. The armed forces are classic examples of regimes wherein its personnel are deliberately and routinely institutionalised. ("regimented")I

institutionalisation has become a derogatory term as people, and particularly the media, have used it to denote very negative negative images.

Personally, I am just breaking out of self-induced institutionalisation whereby I am no longer riding the same routes,at the same times, to the same pubs, to meet the same people, to drink the same beer and talk about the same things etc etc. No it's new rides to new pubs for me in the future.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    cycologist wrote:
    Personally, I am just breaking out of self-induced institutionalisation whereby I am no longer riding the same routes,at the same times, to the same pubs, to meet the same people, to drink the same beer and talk about the same things etc etc. No it's new rides to new pubs for me in the future.

That sounds more like an OCD than institutionalised :wink:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    One of my stepsons is in the Navy and thinking of leaving.
    In preparation for this he has prepared his C.V.
    He asked me to give it a once over and once I had, I could only comment that it looked good but a lot of his phrases and terms while very important and meaningful in the Navy, meant very little on civvie street. I suggested rewording most of the paragraphs.
    It still isn't sinking in...............
    Leave school and know little else for 15 years. I would think that is a form of institutionalisation( :?: ).
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    daviesee wrote:
    He asked me to give it a once over and once I had, I could only comment that it looked good but a lot of his phrases and terms while very important and meaningful in the Navy, meant very little on civvie street. I suggested rewording most of the paragraphs.
    Leave school and know little else for 15 years. I would think that is a form of institutionalisation( :?: ).

funny-gif-baby-I-See-What-You-Did-There.gif
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Institutionalised or just a pr*ck ?

I had a mate who spent a long time in the RAF, nice guy whilst he was in the RAF, complete pr*ck now. He couldn't manage without someone organising his life for him. He's getting better, it's about 7years since he left the RAF, but turns out he's still a bit of a pr*ck.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • dylanfernley
    mattc59-- your 'mate'-- is a he a bit /or a complete pr*ck now, as in your post it seems a bit unclear, not that it makes much difference-- i supppose one is soft, the other a bit hard? :wink:
  • taff..
    taff.. Posts: 81
    daviesee wrote:

that's just a case of 'Jack' having his own language - Jackspeak.

I've just written my CV after 20 years in the RN and it is REALLY difficult to put on paper what I've actually been doing and what I've been responsible for in a language that civvy's understand. has your stepson actually put his notice in yet? has he done the CTW? if not, he'll learn all about CV's there.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    taff.. wrote:
    I've just written my CV after 20 years in the RN and it is REALLY difficult to put on paper what I've actually been doing and what I've been responsible for in a language that civvy's understand. has your stepson actually put his notice in yet? has he done the CTW? if not, he'll learn all about CV's there.
    No. He is just getting a bit fed up, considering his options and being prepared.
    I think he will find it an adjustment in civvy street, especially people simply just not doing as they are told (ordered) but jackspeak probably sums up his main initial hurdle.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • taff..
    taff.. Posts: 81
    when he does make his mind up and put his notice in the resettlement system will kick in and he'll have advisors on hand at his baseport to help him with this sort of stuff.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    taff.. wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

that's just a case of 'Jack' having his own language - Jackspeak.

To be fair, I think that's the same in any organisation.

Always think it's funny how the terminology for things in my OH's workplace (large government department) is different to what we use in mine (large technology company) - but it refers to exactly the same activities.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    Met some 'tourists' the other day, after some small talk somehow got onto the subject of work, one guy says he's really worried about his job, worked all his life is now 56, and thinks if he loses it will never get another.i try and tell him that you can't see round corners, but he is adamant, turns out he was in the royal navy for twenty years, says he cried when he left and was now in 'civvy' street. I mentioned that due to being institutionalised in the services he was having difficulty adjusting..... he was very offended by this term, i explained it was a term to describe a certain way of living but he would not listen, i even told him that i to had been through this... to no avail.
    His companion was by this time trying to show him i meant no offence but he was not listenening to any reasoning, his blood was up and he seemed locked in to defence/offence mode-- felt sorry for the guy, he seemed genuine but was still very much institutionalised.......

I'm not surprised he was offended.

He didn't seem to ask for an amateur psyche report.

Possibly keep your opinions to yourself and let the man come to his own conclusions when ready.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    pauldavid wrote:

Possibly keep your opinions to yourself and let the man come to his own conclusions when ready.

+1
  • dylanfernley
    I was being sympathetic, as someone who was also institutionalised i do have experience of the problems adjusting to so called 'normal' society--- make of that what you will, got to be a smartarse take somewhere :roll:
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    pauldavid wrote:

Why? Free country, freedoms he possibly defended on the front line. Anyway if some one cries because they leave a job, and get upset at a word that even the military recognise is a problem amongst it's staff then I reckon you don't need to be a psychologist to see the guy is seriously fucked up and sometimes the only way to get through to people like that is straight talking. The fact that he felt he could talk about stuff with a stranger should tell you that he was looking for answers. Not psychology, just a basic human understanding of people and their troubles. Just my opinion of course if i'm allowed to express it, that is. Have a light bulb :idea:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.