Buying advice for a newbie?

TommyDickson
TommyDickson Posts: 18
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

I'm looking to get into road cycling and have been trying to do a bit of research before buying my first road bike.

My first thoughts were to go for a Specialized Secteur but once i really started to research my options i also found a Focus Variado 2 with Shimano 105 components at my local bike shop. I really liked the look of this one, and am drawn to the Shimano 105 components as i believe, rightly or wrongly they are quite a step up from the components on the Specialized. However, i cant find many good reviews on that bike, the review on Bikeradar isnt great at all.

This has got me looking at other options and ive also seen a Scott Speedster S35, which seems to have quite a mix of components, some which im unsure of.

Can anyone offer any advice on the latter 2 bikes, or make any other suggestions of others i should be considering? I am looking to take advantage of the Cycle to work scheme, and would also require to kit myself out with, at a minimum clipless pedals and shoes. New helmet, shorts and top i would fund separately if required. (Dont think my old mountain biking gear will cut it)

Comments

• Just realised i have posted this in the wrong section of the forum, sorry.
  • Just discovered the Speedster S35 appears to be a 2011 model bike after my local bike shop contacted Scott to ask about it for me. Doesn't make it a bad bike, but it does help explain why im having so much difficulty finding details on it.
  • Think i'm pretty settled on the Focus Variado 2.0, although my Cycle to Work voucher wont be with me until the end of August now, so that could change. Any advice still welcome on bike choice around that money though.
  • Mikelancs
    Mikelancs Posts: 99
    Think i'm pretty settled on the Focus Variado 2.0, although my Cycle to Work voucher wont be with me until the end of August now, so that could change. Any advice still welcome on bike choice around that money though.
    Can you not offer to pay your LBS a small deposit to secure the bike till you get your voucher then ask them to refund it back once your vouchers with you? Most of the cycle shops around me offer this type of securing on a bike.
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3
  • Have done Mike, going on Sunday to place deposit.
  • Deposit paid. :-)
  • bigdpur
    bigdpur Posts: 4
    Hello ,

I am going to get in to riding as i think its going to be best for me in exercise . I need help with what bike to get and what size i have been told by a taxi driver who rides that being just over 6ft3 i could use a 58 bike frame .... is that the case ?
    also i have seen a couple of ebay as i do not want to pay out 800 900 quid or more on a hobby that i dont know if i will be good at or even if i like it ,

i live in essex and there is plenty of bike clubs but not sure which club to go for .....sorry for all the questions but i really want to get involved and soon cheers for your help

regards

dan
  • With the greatest of respect, you're unlikely to notice the superiority of 105 as opposed to lesser groupset (my favourite bike has 30 year old Shimano 600...), but I'm sure that will be an excellent bike. :)
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    bigdpur wrote:
    Hello ,

I am going to get in to riding as i think its going to be best for me in exercise . I need help with what bike to get and what size i have been told by a taxi driver who rides that being just over 6ft3 i could use a 58 bike frame .... is that the case ?
    also i have seen a couple of ebay as i do not want to pay out 800 900 quid or more on a hobby that i dont know if i will be good at or even if i like it ,

i live in essex and there is plenty of bike clubs but not sure which club to go for .....sorry for all the questions but i really want to get involved and soon cheers for your help

regards

dan

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum. Loads of new bike and beginner threads on here if you search. At your height you would want a 58 or 60 cm frame dependant on frame geometry. The best advice is to go to a local bike shop to try some frames for size to see what fits and feels right. Evans are good for test rides too to give you an idea of what you may want. Important you get the right size bike that feels good for you.

Don't need to spend a lot to get you started and you can either buy new or for more bang for your buck look at second hand. I do recommend some research and bike testing before buying second hand though so you understand what you are looking for and buying.

New bikes from Decathlon such as the Triban get great reviews as well as the Carrera Virtuoso from Halfords. All under£500. Also you will need to factor in some kit and accessories to get the most out of your cycling such as bibshorts, jersey, saddle bag and puncture repair kit and tyre levers and mini pump.

Second hand you can get some great buys once you know what you are looking for. With research and checking out some bikes in the flesh you can draw yourself up a shortlist of either new or second hand in your budget.

Other good bikes to get started on include Cube Peloton, Specialized Allez or Secteur, Cannondale Synapse or CAAD 8, Trek 1.2, Boardman Team, Giant Defy 2 or 3 amongst others.

Good luck and have fun.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Adder1
    Adder1 Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm coming to the end of my ability to survive a rugby match and thinking of getting into road cycling to keep fit. Im currently looking for my first bike, I think I want a specialized allez triple but I dont know what to look for with regards a good fit on the frame. I'm 6'4" an 17 1/2 stone (looking to drop that by riding!) so I think the frame size is really important. Problem is I've got conflicting advice from the two shops I've looked at. One said I need a 61cm frame (which they didn't have in stock) while the other told me a 58 was a perfect fit. Not been able to find the bigger frame to trial... They said to look for the hub of front wheel being hidden behind the handlebars and having to stand slightly on tiptoes with feet down in the riding position, both of which seemed perfect on the smaller one. Is there any other things I should look for? Is there any similar fitting bike that I can try to find and have a sit on to see what I think?

Any advice whether this is a good choice of bike and which dealer I should listen too would be appreciated - worried they are trying to sell the bike they have in stock rather than the right one for me. I have to say it did feel ok but of course I have nothing to reference it too other than my ancient MTB!