New to site my Introduction!

Anton85
Anton85 Posts: 11
edited July 2012 in MTB beginners
1st off hello all!

Just getting into MTB'n always had a MTB used it to go to work before i passed driving licence but recently i have been going out every sunday local. I have a 20 mile route 7 of which is off road and i just love that part!

Been doing some research on places to go local and all my searches bring me to this site ;-)

So far i planning to go to Wharncliffe Woods in sheffield and also Sherwood pines only 20 mins from me (Doncaster).

Before i go there what should i take with spares etc, i would hate to brake something in 1st 10 mins and ruin my day not having a replacement!

My bike aint great a Claud Butler Stone River but if i get into this properly i dont mind upgrading.

Any ways nice to be on the site all have fun and ride safe...ish!

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Hi, welcome.
    Anton85 wrote:
    i would hate to brake something in 1st 10 mins and ruin my day not having a replacement!
    Don't worry about it, it can and does happen, albeit rarely. You can't possibly cover every eventuality.

What you should take with you are things to fix the most common faults, so what I take is...
    Spare tube
    Puncture repair kit + pump
    Tyre levers
    Little multitool thing, mainly for the allen key. A foldable set of allen keys would probably serve just as well.
    Chain tool.
    Spoke tool.
    If I'm on a long break away from home, on holiday or something, I may take a spare rear mech hanger too.

If anything breaks that I can't fix with that lot, I'm probably going to need a workshop anyway!
  • Anton85
    Thanks for info im going down to my local bike shop ill get those bits, guess im gonna have to lern MTB bike maintainance my dad always fixed my bikes as a youngster im whishing i paid more attention now!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's all in here
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Very useful.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anton85
    Ahh thanks ill take a look right now!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Anton85 wrote:
    Thanks for info im going down to my local bike shop ill get those bits, guess im gonna have to lern MTB bike maintainance my dad always fixed my bikes as a youngster im whishing i paid more attention now!
    Having the tools is only half the story. Someone may pass by on the trail who knows how to fix your bike, but doesn't have the tools to do so :wink:
    I've stopped several times to help someone out, when it became apparent that although they had a spoke key or chain tool, they didn't really know what to do with it :lol:
  • Anton85
    I've stopped several times to help someone out, when it became apparent that although they had a spoke key or chain tool, they didn't really know what to do with it :lol:

Thats going to be me tomorrow at Sherwood Pines!
    Ill deffo lern all the maintainance may not be all in a week but ill get there over a couple of months ;-)