SPD Pedals/Cleats

nbuuifx
nbuuifx Posts: 302
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I currently have MTB SPDs on my MTB and a pair of Shimano SPD SL shoes but with the cleats to suit the MTB SPDs.

I'm getting a road bike to go with my MTB.

I've noticed that most road bikes have the SL type pedal - why? What is the advantage? Does anyone use MTB style pedals on a road bike?

I'm probably going to put my flats back on the MTB so it would be easiest and cheapest to just use the MTB SPD pedals on the road bike (presuming they will fit?) but is there any disadvantage to this?

Comments

• CrouchingPig
    CrouchingPig Posts: 112
    I currently use SPD on my roadie,
    Sl's are used because they're lighter for one normally, maybe someone who uses SL can tell you more.
    Norco Sight C7.2
    Giant Defy 1 Disc
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    I use both spd on mtb on sl on road bike, did use spd for a time on road bike.

Think the main reason is larger platform of sl idea being more transfer of power to pedal and less likely to pull out when pulling on them hard I.e. sprinting....all of which are not the reason I bought them :D
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    nbuuifx wrote:
    Does anyone use MTB style pedals on a road bike?

I have M530 pedals on my Tricross (which isn't entirely a road bike), it's because I have one pair of cycling shoes that I've had since 2001 and use on- or off road. Come to think of it, it might be time to replace the cleats - they're pretty worn.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I use SPDs on my road bike with some old Nike touring shoes.

I like the fact that the cleat is recessed so I can walk about normally, and the cleats seem to last for years. Never unintentionally unclipped, and never suffered any foot pain / discomfort.

Maybe if I was racing or riding 1000 miles a week I'd consider SL's, but for me and my type of riding, SPDs make sense
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    nbuuifx wrote:
    I currently have MTB SPDs on my MTB and a pair of Shimano SPD SL shoes but with the cleats to suit the MTB SPDs.
    I've noticed that most road bikes have the SL type pedal - why? What is the advantage? Does anyone use MTB style pedals on a road bike?
    I'm probably going to put my flats back on the MTB so it would be easiest and cheapest to just use the MTB SPD pedals on the road bike (presuming they will fit?) but is there any disadvantage to this?
    Nothing wrong with SPD pedals on a road bike. I use them in winter as the shoes are easier to walk in, especially in slippery conditions, but use SPD-SL on my summer and race bikes. They give a slightly more stable platform and just feel more positive. I would not recommend using SL type road shoes with SPD cleats as they have the disadvantages from both systems and non of the advantages. They are not as stable as proper SPD shoes due to the lack of support from the sole on the pedal and they are even worse than SL cleats to walk in. Which ever pedal system you decide to use get the correct shoes for it.
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    Yeah - you are right there - I do seem to have the disadvantage from both systems, it was just what I ended up with from a bit of a deal with a friend.

Weight doesn't seem to be much of an issue. My current SPD pedals weigh 340g for the pair. Looking at SPD SL pedals they seem to be around 330g for a pair.

I'll transfer them over for the minute when I get the road bike, but then when I get chance I'll either get another pair of shoes, or I'll get a set of SL pedals and cleats and use my existing shoes - would probably sell the MTB SPDs though then.