First 100K ride

kleinstroker
kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Decided the weather was too good to miss yesterday and did Clapham to Southend, should have been 80km but with a few wrong turns we just clicked over the 100km mark at the seafront! Thoroughly knackered, thighs like iron and severe neck ache. Also realised after that my bike fit could be better, a whole lot better really! Is it normal for severe neck ache? Not sure!
Will definitely be doing something similar again soon now I know I can, so onwards and upwards for this mamil!!!
:D

Comments

• Nice one :)
    Especially well done in the heat.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • kleinstroker
    The best thing to come from it was I got to know my bike better, things which didn't really annoy me on 50k rides certainly did on this one. It's a great way to see if your bike really fits you or not, and now I know what needs to be changed.
  • And you probably went right past my house :mrgreen:
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Disappointing... When I read 100k thought you meant 100,000! Now that is a ride!

Congratulations! Still not managed it myself.. Seem to be 'stuck' around 70-80km. Good achievement
  • kleinstroker
    I can't believe there will be a day when I have done over a 1000 100km rides as I'm a bit past it now. I guess if I was 10n years younger it might be something to aim for!!
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Congratulations on your 100km, thats one achievement to be proud of. You deserve a beer, beer always tastes much nicer when you've earned it.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Keep at it and 100-120k ride will become normal outings.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Is it normal for severe neck ache? Not sure!
    Congratulations on your first 100km, it feels great doesn't it. Neck ache is common until your body gets used to it and your muscles develop a bit. A professional bike fit may help, it might be that all you need to do is flip your stem or fitter a shorter one for example.
  • Just back from my first 100kms. Had a cracking early morning ride out through some of Essex finest country Lanes :lol:

3hrs 54mins 16mph average.

I can feel a power nap coming on :wink:
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I can't believe there will be a day when I have done over a 1000 100km rides as I'm a bit past it now. I guess if I was 10n years younger it might be something to aim for!!
    I doubt that you're that over the hill. When I did the Tour du Canada (4700 miles) the oldest participant was 67, the oldest participant ever was in their mid 70s. There are plenty of audaxers in their 60s who do stupid-o-miles. Just keep doing what you're doing and build up the distance slowly and you'll be fine.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • kleinstroker
    Cripes! 4700 miles.. I'm glad to hear all the positives to being an older rider, hope I can carry on progressing over the next six months at which point I might treat myself to a new bike. I think I need to earn it though.

Well done Charlie!! I think you managed it a good 45 minutes faster than myself. Next time! :D

• Well done Charlie!! I think you managed it a good 45 minutes faster than myself. Next time! :D

Why not pop over for the Essex 100 on Sept 2nd :?: :wink:

http://www.action.org.uk/essex_100
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    First 100km for me today too! (1500 metres climbing)

I only work in miles, so had to convert the 62miles I did today, and just realised this is 100km!

I do about 100-120 miles a week, but never used to ride more than 30 miles at a time, so I recently decided to start upping the mileage - I figured I couldn't call myself a "proper cyclist" unless I started doing 100km+ rides!

Well now I have joined the club!