Road bikes for kids? Sky team jersey in kids sizes?

aclivity
aclivity Posts: 94
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
My son, inspired by watching the Tour with me, can't decide if he wants to be Chris, Brad or Mark. He does want to get a road bike for Christmas, though, so I need to look into where is the best place to get him one from? He's 9 years old, quite short for his age, so it will probably need to be a 24" wheel bike. I don't want to spend a fortune on a bike for him, but also I think if it's pig iron it'll end up in the shed. Any suggestions where to look?

Also I'm looking to get him a team Sky procycling jersey, only place I could find them in Kids sizes was Evans, but they show as not being available any more - any clues? Worst case is that I'll buy one my size and let my wife wash it!

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Islabikes.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • aclivity
    SimonAH wrote:
    Islabikes.
    That's the name I was trying to remember! Looks like the "Luath 24" is the one to go for - how are they at holding value for resale when he gets larger?
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    My lad also has been massively inspired by the tour. I'm looking for:

A kids size tour team jersey e.g. Garmin or Sky
    A poster of Bradley Wiggins punching the air after crossing the line in the final time trial.

Any ideas on these items let me know..

Cheers

J

P.S> My son has an Isla bike a Cnoc 16 (he's four) and he loves it.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    islabikes retain their value incredibly well. highly recommended.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    aclivity wrote:
    how are they at holding value for resale when he gets larger?

Rock solid - have a look at ebay listings. You won't lose more than £20 in a couple of years. Speaks volumes for the brand's reputation.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Try the Classfied Section of this forum.

There's a seperate section for kids now.

D
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • aclivity
    Hadn't even spotted there was a classified section - have bookmarked that now, something to keep an eye on!
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    spasypaddy wrote:
    excellent, im off to buy a child

Always suspected you were actually Madonna. :lol:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    spasypaddy wrote:

I can do you a volume discount if you're interested.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • vermin
    spasypaddy wrote:

I can do you a volume discount if you're interested.

Correct number = n-1?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    vermin wrote:
    aclivity wrote:

Rock solid - have a look at ebay listings. You won't lose more than £20 in a couple of years. Speaks volumes for the brand's reputation.

I suspect that is an exaggeration. Who in their right mind would buy a second hand bike just to save £20 - they would buy new if that was how small the difference was.

I think you will lose more like 25-30% in value, compared to probably 50% with most other good brands and more with less good brands. However, you have to factor in that the bike cost more, so that 25-30% is closer to the £ loss on a well chosen bike from another brand. I am thinking of the Specialized Hardrock as the primary example - you will lose about the same amount in £s on that as you will on an Islabike, but it will be a higher percentage of the purchase price because the bike was cheaper to start with.

None of this negates that Islabikes are fantastic and one of, possibly THE best bikes for kids.
  • vermin
    apreading wrote:
    vermin wrote:
    aclivity wrote:

I suspect that is an exaggeration.

Only speaking from my own personal experience of owning and then selling one! :D
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Any preference on what type? I have a couple that could be put up for sale. The boy is quite large at over 6' and eats like a horse. Quite useful if you need any help moving stuff, although generally quite lethargic and tends to communicate in a series of monosyllabic grunts. The girl is not quite as large, although tall for her age, and is significantly cheaper to feed. Usually very cheerful and quite chatty. I suspect her mood may change suddenly in about 30 months.
    Make me an offer if interested.
  • vermin
    aclivity wrote:
    Sky team jersey in kids sizes?

Perhaps ask Cav for one of his old ones?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    vermin wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    vermin wrote:
    aclivity wrote:

I suspect that is an exaggeration.

Only speaking from my own personal experience of owning and then selling one! :D

Had the price of the new ones gone up in those 2 years? I cant believe someone would knowingly/sensibly buy a second hand bike with no warranty to save £20... I think unless the new prices had gone up significantly then this was a freak occurrence, and doesnt seem in line with prices I have seen when they generally come up for sale or if you look on ebay.

Actually looking on ebay now, it seems I was a little out too - they seem to generally lose 20-25% over a couple of years. Still, around the same as what you lose on a 24" A1 Hotrock in £ terms and still much better than most other bikes.
  • vermin
    Was a couple of years ago. May be different now due to market saturation resulting from increased sales. Ho hum.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    vermin wrote:
    aclivity wrote:
    Sky team jersey in kids sizes?

Perhaps ask Cav for one of his old ones?

one of the club mates I used to MTB/CX with had one, she wasn't that wee but the bike was.
  • sskelly
    sskelly Posts: 79
    The Dawes Espoir 3000 is a good bike if the islabike is too expensive. I managed to pick one up (brand new 2012 model) for £320.