Which Rockrider should I buy?

Minty88
Minty88 Posts: 8
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've decided to buy a MTB through my works cycle to work scheme and saw a few in my local J E James shop that I liked however I can't say I know much about the specs on the bikes I looked at. I've read up on it a bit and it seems like my best bet would be to go to Decathlon instead and pick up one of the Rockrider bikes but I can't decide whether I should go for the 8.1 or the 9.1, basically I'm not sure whether its a bit too much to jump up the full suspension bike.

I had originally only planned to spend a couple of hundred £ but after riding a friends bike I've got alot more into the idea and want to spend enough that I won't feel really limited by the bike in a short amount of time. Is the jump up to full suspension worth it?

Comments

• mitomaniac
    mitomaniac Posts: 117
    Mbuk did a write up this month on full sus bikes under a grand an they praised the rockrider highly for its value for money with the spec you get. But really it all comes down to what you want to use it for.
  • Minty88
    Minty88 Posts: 8
    mitomaniac wrote:
    Mbuk did a write up this month on full sus bikes under a grand an they praised the rockrider highly for its value for money with the spec you get. But really it all comes down to what you want to use it for.

I guess this is my main problem, the area I live in is close to the peak districts and from what I've read and heard there seems to be a wide range of trails and terrain so it really just depends on how i progress once I have my bike. I'm planning to get out as often as possible (most likely every weekend). Both bikes look to have had great reviews so I'm leaning towards the 9.1, rather spend a bit more now and make sure I don't miss out in the future.
  • Minty88 wrote:
    mitomaniac wrote:

I guess this is my main problem, the area I live in is close to the peak districts and from what I've read and heard there seems to be a wide range of trails and terrain so it really just depends on how i progress once I have my bike. I'm planning to get out as often as possible (most likely every weekend). Both bikes look to have had great reviews so I'm leaning towards the 9.1, rather spend a bit more now and make sure I don't miss out in the future.

Im amazed at how light it is for a cheapy full sus! Just under 14kg is not too shabby as many cheap Hardtails will be around this. (takes manufacturers weights with a pinch of salt tho)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Common advice on here seems to be that its better to learn the skills to ride properly on a hardtail before moving to full sus. Otherwise the full sus can flatter and deceive you into being lazy and thinking you are doing well and then bit you when you realise that you dont really have the skills...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I disagree with that. Given the choice I would take a full sus anytime, novice or expert.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    i ride the rockrider 9.1 albeit last years model but i love it,and as said its very well spec'd for the money,even better than my old genesis core 20 and it cost less.ive had it at innerleithen and it took me everywhere my mats 2k stumpy went,for the money its well worth it,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    apreading wrote:
    Common advice on here seems to be that its better to learn the skills to ride properly on a hardtail before moving to full sus. Otherwise the full sus can flatter and deceive you into being lazy and thinking you are doing well and then bit you when you realise that you dont really have the skills...

:lol: