Hydration packs with frame or similar.

plugp7
plugp7 Posts: 298
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Is there a hydration pack that is less prone to giving you a sweaty back than others.
I know there are some backpack with frames that keep them off the body. Is there something similar available for hydration packs. Looking for small one say Camelbak Lobo size.
Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130

Comments

• Tactica
    Tactica Posts: 70
    plugp7 wrote:
    Is there a hydration pack that is less prone to giving you a sweaty back than others.
    I know there are some backpack with frames that keep them off the body. Is there something similar available for hydration packs. Looking for small one say Camelbak Lobo size.
    Not exactly just a hydration pack, but I can recommend Deuter Race EXP Air. It has the wire mesh that keeps the backpack of your back, but also takes a 3 litre Streamer hydration pack and is small overall. Check it out http://www.deuter.com/en_US/backpack-de ... 0EXP%20Air
  • roverthehill
    roverthehill Posts: 155
    how do you guys clean your packs? I had a look at mine and there was about 3 ml of stinking gunk at the bottom of the 'bladder'. Flippin hard to clean properly and dry.
  • plugp7
    Rinse out bladder as soon as you have finished ride. Fill with water and add denture tablet. Leave 30mins, rinse with cold water and then stick in freezer until next used. Simple. Could use household bleach instead of tablets or any sterilising solution.
  • Tactica
    Tactica Posts: 70
    how do you guys clean your packs? I had a look at mine and there was about 3 ml of stinking gunk at the bottom of the 'bladder'. Flippin hard to clean properly and dry.
    I always rinse mine after I've used it. Haven't had any problems yet with mold or gunk. I'm not sure about camel baks but Streamers have some sort of anti microbial coating or material to prevent unwanted bacterial growth in the bladder in the first place.
  • plugp7
    Tactica wrote:
    Not exactly just a hydration pack, but I can recommend Deuter Race EXP Air. It has the wire mesh that keeps the backpack of your back, but also takes a 3 litre Streamer hydration pack and is small overall. Check it out

Look good but the Race x Air looks better size wise.
    Thanks.
  • I have an Osprey Raptor 14 and that is not too bad for sweating, it too has an air mesh thingie. The bladder sits against your back and if you fill it with iced water with a few cubes in it, it keeps you lovely and cool! I still come back soaked though as i sweat for England.

The bladder is a bit fiddly to clean though. I just rinse mine and then get kitchen paper to wedge it open a bit and leave it to dry
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bladder is easy, empty and stick it in the freezer. I only use water in mine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

I heard this. I take it the bag doesnt perish at all?
  • plugp7
    cooldad wrote:

+1 agreed if just using water. Bladder will not perish, well mine hasn't after 5 years!
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

One I'm using at the moment is three years old, no hassles at all.
    Just a good idea to make sure all the water is out of the valve as ice expands and I know someone whose valve didn't make it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    i have a 2ltr karrimor bladder i use in a normal back pack and clean after every use. i nearly always have squash in it but give it a swill out remove pipe and wash thru. i spin the pipe like a windmill to fling the drips out then i wipe inside of bladder with tea towel. i have a big inlet cap on it.

ive had this camelbak delivered this wk but not tried it yet but im hoping for a less sweaty back with this than my previous.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/camelbak-charge ... pack-2012/
    Boardman comp 2012
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    There is no backpack that will endure a sweat-free back. Even the mesh ones will still make you sweat - if anything it's worse than a "normal" pack, since you can actually feel your back. With a standard camelbak on, you won't know you have a sweaty back, until you take it off.
  • cooldad
    I'd rather be sweaty and wet than rainy and frozen and wet.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    cooldad wrote:
    I'd rather be sweaty and wet than rainy and frozen and wet.
    Er, yeah, sure.
    You're going to end up sweaty if you're riding a bike anyway.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I use a Berhaus Freeflow 20, which a bladder compartment.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • I have an Osprey Raptor 14 and that is not too bad for sweating, it too has an air mesh thingie. The bladder sits against your back and if you fill it with iced water with a few cubes in it, it keeps you lovely and cool! I still come back soaked though as i sweat for England.

The bladder is a bit fiddly to clean though. I just rinse mine and then get kitchen paper to wedge it open a bit and leave it to dry

+1

I have the same, the pack, the mesh vents do help more than i thought they would. I do like the little magnet that holds the drinking tube. Cleaning is easy, throw the bag in the washing machine and baldder in the freezer after a rinse
    Zesty 214
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Just a good idea to make sure all the water is out of the valve as ice expands and I know someone whose valve didn't make it.

I bought my bladder in 1995, it's still going strong. I give it a quick rinse then drain the tube as much as possible and stick it in the freezer. I haven't cleaned it since about 1998.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    plugp7 wrote:
    Could use household bleach

I wouldn't risk using bleach in mine - doesn't add to the flavour particularly well!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    prawny wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I bought my bladder in 1995, it's still going strong. I give it a quick rinse then drain the tube as much as possible and stick it in the freezer. I haven't cleaned it since about 1998.

Which bladder do you mean?
  • cooldad
    The bladder that holds liquid that does inside a camelbak or similar.

My other bladder has been fine for 50 years, doesn't even need to go in the freezer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • plugp7
    waby1234 wrote:
    plugp7 wrote:
    Could use household bleach

I wouldn't risk using bleach in mine - doesn't add to the flavour particularly well!

I've never had a problem. Just don't use perfumed bleach!!
  • plugp7
    Even the mesh ones will still make you sweat - if anything it's worse than a "normal" pack, since you can actually feel your back.

Which one did you try to come to this conclusion? I'll avoid it.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Several, from Karrimor, Gelert, Berghaus, and I think, Dakine.
    Cycling makes you sweat, there is nothing you can wear on your back to stop that.
  • plugp7
    Several, from Karrimor, Gelert, Berghaus, and I think, Dakine.
    Cycling makes you sweat, there is nothing you can wear on your back to stop that.

Thanks for your input, I'll bear this is mind.