What brakes

Spighty
Spighty Posts: 90
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
At the minute I have only a front mechanical disc brake no rear fitted as it squealed like mad.

So I'm looking at some new brakes. Would like to spend no more than 80 per end really.

What am I looking for?

Are these any good as I would like new rotors and it seems the shimano don't come with them

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67757

Can I get a better deal elsewhere? I don't really want to shop outside uk as its family buying it for me

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get Shimano and if they come without discs (they come with and without) then get some!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Spighty
    Where is best place to get some ? What ones ?
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    Shimano SLX M675 plus some discs from Rosebikes, should be around £150 inc shipping
  • Spighty
    Is this what I need? Will they fit on my rotors I have now? Is it better getting new ones?

Will I need the adaptor for the back ?

I have 160mm on the front and post mount. So I take it they go straight on.

Front brakes 

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:591857

Rear brake 

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:258318
  • I thought rose bikes was German?
    Cheaper at bike-discount.de if you are going to order outside the UK.
  • Spighty
    I would prefer not to but if it's much cheaper I will do. So where are the cheapest place to get them from ?
  • The German sites are great. One thing to remember is that their brakes are the other way around to ours. Front brake is left and back is right.
  • Spighty
    I was reading that about them. Do I just get used to it or shall I swap the cables and re bleed them

Is this what I need ?

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k495/a ... -m675.html
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    New formulas, slot and connect!
  • Spighty
    New formulas, slot and connect!

What are these I'm new to all this ?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Socketed lines. PnP
  • Spighty
    Socketed lines. PnP
    I still don't know what they are can you link them please ?
  • Spighty wrote:
    Socketed lines. PnP
    I still don't know what they are can you link them please ?

http://www.formula-italy.com/en/product/speed-lock/11

Is what i think he means.

I have the formula rx on my bike (from germany) and they are flip flop deisgn meaning they will fit either side of the handlebars without any disconnecting of hoses.
    Assuming the hose is long enough.

I would stick with the shimano slx or xt though.
    I ride with my brakes the wrong way and get on fine.
  • Spighty
    I may just get the shimano ones and bleed them I I can't get on with them.

I don't want to buy poor brakes. As I would like the chance to maybe swap to a new bike or frame in the future
  • Spighty wrote:
    I may just get the shimano ones and bleed them I I can't get on with them.

I don't want to buy poor brakes. As I would like the chance to maybe swap to a new bike or frame in the future

The formula arent poor btw.

The brakes you are getting, assuming its the SLX are one of the best on the market according to reviews and also the others on here. You're literally going from one extreme to another. I just hope you dont faceplant the first time you pull hard on the front brake ;)
  • Spighty
    Chances are I probably will go over the bar. My brakes at the min have to be pulled hard to even slow me. I couldn't even go over the bar with them unless I physically jumped over them.

If the shimano are the ones to go for I will get them.

I'm not sure if I need an adaptor for the back brake. The front one should be fine and a straight fit. But the back looks like I may need an adaptor.
  • Spighty
    How do I know what adaptor to order for the rear?

The front mount one seems easy as it post to 203mm

I'm not sure what I have on the rear tho. It looks like two holes facing the wheel
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    If its facing the wheel chances are its an IS mount (I think?). Do a quick search on the forum, someone more helpful than me posted some pics of different mounts and explained what adapters are required in another thread.
  • Spighty
    Thanks I managed to find a picture. I believe it's is fitment
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Excuse me or posibly stating the obvious here, but just in case you didn't know...
    Even with new, god-almighty-powerful brakes, the front one is still the main workhorse for slowing down.
    You're going to have to brace yourself against the bar, the bike is incredibly unlikely to flip unless your arms give in and you end up slumping towards the front of the bike.
    It may also be neccesarry to slide back slightly on the saddle, or stand up and move your weight rearwards.