Pain in right shoulder and neck

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Recently, ie last week I have been getting a throbbing pain in my right shoulder and neck after about an hour's riding.

It then lingers all day and onthe ride home.

Is this something to do with core strenght, holding the bars too tightly etc.

Any help appreciated, as its a right pain in the neck!!

thanks

Comments

• Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    what is the distance between handlebars and saddle ?

If its too great you may be giving yourself hefty neckpain by craning it to look forward.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Had the same problem myself. As Raffles says worth checking the distance between the bars and saddle as a shorter stem has cured my problem.
  • Raffles
    my post refers to vertical distance between the bars to the top of the saddle
  • samsbike
    Raffles its about 10.5 cm, although I just realised I can raise the stem a few mm, so have just done that.
  • Raffles
    samsbike wrote:
    Raffles its about 10.5 cm, although I just realised I can raise the stem a few mm, so have just done that.

wowee, thats a well seasoned and flexible rider type distance, how long have you been riding ?
  • Scotteesh
    Scotteesh Posts: 35
    I'd say get yourself a bike fit. For the past two years I have been riding with loads of niggling aches and pains and the girlfriend got me a bike fit for my birthday a few weeks ago and not only have the aches and pains disappeared but riding the bike now feels easier somehow. Don't know whether it is psychological but it was the best bit of money I have spent on my bike!
  • samsbike
    Its a bit irritating as I have been fine for the last few months.

I had the same issue on my old mtb.

Might trying lowering the seat.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Surely the optimum seat height is determined by the length of your legs and your cranks? Won't lowering the seat impact your pedal stroke?
  • samsbike
    Raffles wrote:
    samsbike wrote:

wowee, thats a well seasoned and flexible rider type distance, how long have you been riding ?

4 months, but its been fine previously
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I bought a set of bars with a shallower drop and shorter length between clamping area and favoured hand position. This has really helped my comfort levels in terms of back/shoulder aches. I was finding I was very comfortable with my setup on the hoods but didn't feel very confident on the drops, so this helped that no end too.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I want a shorter stem but then I wouldn't be able to fit my hand on it when walking with the bike and its a nice size to do that with lol. So I just put the seat forward to the max line and its fine. I feel like I am reaching but I think its because I went from MTB to road. After 2 hours on it yesterday I am a lot more used to it.

I have got a burning soreness in my neck muscles around the back but its a good thing, its normal, its not "pain" its just muscle fatigue, at least with me it is. Same thing I get when I do push ups just nowhere near as sore.