Heart rate

Superbalicious
Superbalicious Posts: 136
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I'm posting this in the beginners forum as although I've spent years riding in my youth, I'm returning after a considerable break... my body has totally forgot all the effort I put in as a youngster.

I'm now 37, having weighed 15st 8lb on at the beginning of July I'm now down to 14st 10lb and hoping to loose the last 2lb before the end of the month and then to continue with a new target weight. My ultimate goal would be around 12st, but I like to work in smaller chunks.

My resting pulse is between 65 and 70, but when I'm on my bike it rockets up to 165-170 and I can easily get it over 180. This worries me somewhat, although I actually feel ok around the 165-170 mark and I seem to recover at a reasonable rate.

I know everyone is different, and that there's probably not a single piece of advice I should adopt (as opposed to lots of general advice), but I'm just after a feeling of how other beginners heart rates change as they ride, and whether I should expect to see my heart rate reduce as I get the miles in, loose more weight and become (hopefully) fitter.

So, any thoughts?
Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!

Comments

• Leeuw
    Leeuw Posts: 99
    Mine jumps up pretty quickly when riding too. The reassuring measure though is getting home, sitting down and seeing how long it takes to drop back below 100bpm - mine only takes a couple of mins, even after a hard session :)

And well done on the weight loss!!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    My resting pulse is between 65 and 70, but when I'm on my bike it rockets up to 165-170 and I can easily get it over 180. This worries me somewhat, although I actually feel ok around the 165-170 mark and I seem to recover at a reasonable rate.

Why would it worry you?, your body is working, so of course your heart rate will increase.

Is it safe?, unless you have any underlaying health problems, then yes, it's safe, your mind will pack in way before your body does :)
  • DaveL
    DaveL Posts: 188
    edited July 2012
    You will find your resting HR reduces the fitter you get, your heart rate your hitting now will probably not change that much, but you will be faster. On my last 17m ride my ave was 170bpm but I was pushing it, I don't like going over 185 as I can feel a pulse in the side of my head and it freaks me out. (I'm 45 btw)

Dave
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    As has been said everyone's different. You have to push to get quicker/fitter, just don't push too hard too quickly. Unless you're genuinely struggling when your HR is up around 170 then that sounds OK to me. FWIW I'm 48 and I've had my HR up to 220, needed a bit of a sit down after that though. :roll: Usually I'm comfortable around 150-160 higher than that starts to become unsustainable. My resting rate is 50-54.

What does all that tell me? That I'm reasonably fit and that I can work a bit harder if I want to. Don't get too hung up on numbers if it feels OK then it probably is. Keep going with the weight loss, well done.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • thecrofter wrote:
    FWIW I'm 48 and I've had my HR up to 220
    - ouch !
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • I understand that max heart rate is (usually) related to age. Mine's 192bpm; I has hitting that regularly when I started cycling, but recently it's been pretty rare to go over 185. On Sunday I rode a new (to me) route, as I'm on holiday, which whilst short included a climb of 300m over a 2.5 mile stretch. Cycling one way I hit 190, back the other it was 191. I did the same hill today, I was slightly faster over the whole of the ride, yet only hit 180bpm. Probably down to pacing my efforts better as I knew what was coming. That "OMG, I'm going to pass out!" feeling of bouncing off your max heart rate ceiling is one I prefer not to have too often.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • danowat wrote:
    Why would it worry you?, your body is working, so of course your heart rate will increase.

Is it safe?, unless you have any underlaying health problems, then yes, it's safe, your mind will pack in way before your body does :)

I just thought it was high, I mean it's getting on for three beats per second, but clearly from the replies (and thank you all for them) if I feel ok, and recover ok, then within reason I am ok. I'll not over do it whist I'm still overweight though... that just gives me more of an incentive to loose :D
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!
  • bagz3
    bagz3 Posts: 253
    thecrofter wrote:
    As has been said everyone's different. You have to push to get quicker/fitter, just don't push too hard too quickly. Unless you're genuinely struggling when your HR is up around 170 then that sounds OK to me. FWIW I'm 48 and I've had my HR up to 220, needed a bit of a sit down after that though. :roll: Usually I'm comfortable around 150-160 higher than that starts to become unsustainable. My resting rate is 50-54.

What does all that tell me? That I'm reasonably fit and that I can work a bit harder if I want to. Don't get too hung up on numbers if it feels OK then it probably is. Keep going with the weight loss, well done.

Is 220 bpm even possible, i'd consult a doctor just in case you were having a heart attack :?
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I got a heart rate monitor last night from Aldi - £8.99 and it works, its German made and has a 3 year warranty.

My resting pulse rate this morning was 45.

Sat at my computer now after toking my eCig and drinking about 1.2 pints of caffinated coffee, it is up to around 73 BPM.

Walking up the stairs it goes up to about 100 BPM.

Needless to say I am quite unfit... but I have the totally relaxed rate of only 45 BPM which I find strange.

Oh well, all I can do is keep on biking. :D

This heart rate monitor also has a bike handlebar clip so you can strap the watch onto your handlebars. For £9 I feel like I have robbed them.
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    Manc33 wrote:
    I got a heart rate monitor last night from Aldi - £8.99 and it works, its German made and has a 3 year warranty.

My resting pulse rate this morning was 45.

Sat at my computer now after toking my eCig and drinking about 1.2 pints of caffinated coffee, it is up to around 73 BPM.

Walking up the stairs it goes up to about 100 BPM.

Needless to say I am quite unfit... but I have the totally relaxed rate of only 45 BPM which I find strange.

Oh well, all I can do is keep on biking. :D

This heart rate monitor also has a bike handlebar clip so you can strap the watch onto your handlebars. For £9 I feel like I have robbed them.

That doesn't sound bad, I have a resting rate similar to yours, and just being up and about ready before a bike ride my HR will be about 70. No idea what it goes to walking up stairs but 100 wouldn't surprise me. Out on the bike if I ride at an effortless pace it will go to about 130, if I ride at what I would call a good pace (but a pace I can keep going with) then it will stay at around 160-175. If I really push it - it will stay at 180-195, but I can't keep this up for more than 5 mins or so. I haven't managed to find my max HR yet but I guess it is around 200.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Yeah about 150 or 160 is about what I seem to be at when pushing quite a bit (but can be maintained for a while).

Never got it up to max myself either, I don't think I would dare to yet. :lol:
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Legs will fail way before heart.

And also...180 is really top end stuff. It will get better as you get fitter. You need to work out your zones really to get any meaningful information.