XT Groupset

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,662
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

I'm about to pull the trigger on the latest XT groupset ( 2 x 10, no brakes) from zee Germans at Bike-discount (400eus). Does anyone have any experience/reasons not too/things I should avoid/definitely go for etc? Switichng from SRAM for the first time in 6-7 years

Do you think I ll notice the difference between 170 and 175mm cranks? I'm pretty short and I ve 170mm currently but I can't find a groupset offer with 170mm cranks.

Cheers!!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    My wifes bike as 170mm cranks and mine has 175, I can't tell the difference. I recently upgraded my enduro to XT and it's excellent, far better than the sram stuff that was on there but I went 1x10. I'm really happy with the mutirelease shifter and the gear changes are spot on.

As long as your old sram stuff is worn enough to justify the change then I'd say go for it.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Not any reason not to really, although I wouldn't change unless the SRAM stuff was worn enough to warrant it. In case you hadn't seen it the 2x10 group is 379€ on actionsports.de, they only have the option of 175 or 180 for the cranks though. I've had 170 and 175 on different bikes and never really noticed a difference apart from it possibly being a tiny bit 'spinnier' with 170.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Yeah the SRAM stuff is knackered. I ve been waiting to knacker it before just replacing the whole shebang. A month of extra cash from working in Russia in a few weeks should soften the blow nicely too! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    My only reccomendation would to be to go for the 36 cassette-dont really see the point of close ratio on a mtb, especially with only 2 rings up front.