Numb toes!

wilky27
wilky27 Posts: 200
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Been riding for around 6 weeks now and usually do 25 - 40 miles. My toes go numb soon into my ride. I can't work it out of it's wind chill or bad circulation, I think it's the latter. Has anyone had any similar problems? Could it be my bike set up??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Wilky.

Comments

• cje
    cje Posts: 148
    I used to get that, so I loosened the traps of my shoes a little and 'hey presto'.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    have you tried loosening the straps on your shoes?

feet have a tendency to swell while riding.
  • wilky27
    wilky27 Posts: 200
    ahh, I do have them pretty tight! I'll give it a blast.

Cheers lads!!
  • bianchibob
    bianchibob Posts: 306
    Also check the holes for cleats etc in the bottom of your shoes. I found in the winter the cold air got in and froze my toes !!
    Not noticed it recently, but might have inadvertently slackened my shoe straps as well.
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    bianchibob wrote:
    Also check the holes for cleats etc in the bottom of your shoes. I found in the winter the cold air got in and froze my toes !!
    Not noticed it recently, but might have inadvertently slackened my shoe straps as well.

You'll definitely get numb toes in winter, due to the cold. That's why it's good to wear overshoes.
  • Usually best not to cycle in sandals.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I get this about 10 miles into a ride, or on longer rides and I think its because the seat is too high (never used cleats or toe clips, always used cheap plastic £5 double sided pedals on all my bikes).

Then again I do mess with the seat post a lot, if I can gain 1mm height without it being uncomfortable, I will. Nothing kills my legs like a low seat and it only has to be like 1 inch too low and it has quite an effect on my legs when sat down.

My toes go numb on my MTB and the road bike I just bought. I can't see any other reason except the slight stretching I am having to do when the seat is too high. I set it so my heel can just about touch... but I still had to raise it about another 1cm, maybe its because I am a size 9 foot? I wouldn't take ANY of these methods all that seriously. Your heel touching the pedal is not going to be the same for someone with a size 6 foot as it is with a size 9 foot, for obvious reasons. Same with that "see if your knee is above the pedal" doesn't take into account you might have short or long legs or anything! Make sure the handlebar obscures the front hub.... how can that work when all different bikes have all different stems on them?! For example my current stem is about 4 inches. Some bikes might not even have a stem like that.

All these fitting methods are very cagey to me. I think the main thing is make sure you feel comfortable and not stretching (seat too high), but not getting unusually fatigued either (seat too low).
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    would be surprised if it was the seat height causing the issue. numbness has a tendency to be caused by restricted flow iirc.

for example shoes too tight can cause numb toes, badly positioned seat causing numb balls and overstretching or too much weight on the bars causing pins and needles in the hands.

theres quite a few ways to get your saddle height correct including the 109% rule or the competitive cyclist fit calculator http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO its just a case of finding whats right for you. as for stem length you can change these pretty easily if you have the wrong size, most manufacturers will build to a price so some parts will be very generic but easily replaced.