Pedal Cleat Combinations

bianchibob
bianchibob Posts: 306
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I currently have two road bikes, one for poor weather and one for good weather Sportives.

Both bikes are currently fitted with Shimano SPD MTB pedals and my shoes are fitted with appropiate cleats. Having got used (almost) to being cleated in, only fallen off a few times, i am thinking of purchasing some more upmarket shoes and pedals for my 'best - Sportive 'bike.

The type of pedal I was thinking of going for was a Shimano SPD SL set up with appropriate cleats.

My question is the cleats come as Floating and Non-floating. What is the difference ? And as a relative newcomer to cycling and cleats which would suit me best.

I have adjusted my present SPD MTB's to fit tightly but with enough give to release fairly quickly (sometimes not quick enough - but that is another story!!)

The only requirement I want is that the new set up is adjustable, holds the foot firmly when pedalling and releases fairly easily.

Any help comments most appreciated.

Comments

• cje
    cje Posts: 148
    The floating pedals (yellow) allow your foot to pivot l-r slightly. The non-floating (red) allow no movement at all.
  • bianchibob
    bianchibob Posts: 306
    Thanks for that, you have confirmed by thoughts on this, given that your foot has a bit of movement in the shoe what is the general concensus on the forum regarding float or none float.
    Is the none float version for the 'purist racer type' while the float version is more for the Sportive - Sunday rider.

Does the float version give you a bit more leeway with uncleating in an emergency ?

Any thoughts ?
  • bouncyboy
    bouncyboy Posts: 25
    Don't get fixed cleats get some with float, if the fixed are not set up probably you can get knee problems. I race on the yellow ones and find they are good, just don't walk to far in them. You see many pros running yellow shimano cleats so they can't be that bad :mrgreen:

Ribble have some good deals as always.

I have the 105 pedals, and carbon ultegra ones which are far superior. I would defo recommend paying the extra for carbon ultegra. however the 105s are just as good. If I were you I would avoid the model below 105 as i used to have a pair but they wore out within 3000 miles!!
    Bouncy :)

under 16 (A) racer
  • mkviken
    mkviken Posts: 217
    edinburgh bik co op have shimano spd's around half price at the minute.
  • migrantwing
    migrantwing Posts: 385
    bianchibob wrote:
    Thanks for that, you have confirmed by thoughts on this, given that your foot has a bit of movement in the shoe what is the general concensus on the forum regarding float or none float.
    Is the none float version for the 'purist racer type' while the float version is more for the Sportive - Sunday rider.

Does the float version give you a bit more leeway with uncleating in an emergency ?

Any thoughts ?

Correct by all accounts, Bob. I'm sure someone will come along and correct me/disagree with me, but I find that SPD-SL feel more secure, hence the fact that they are harder to release than MTB style SPD.
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    You must have some float in the cleats if this is your Sportive bike. Trying to do longer distances with no-float would f*** your knees. No float are recommended for short races/track use only.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    BouncyBoy wrote:
    I have the 105 pedals, and carbon ultegra ones which are far superior. I would defo recommend paying the extra for carbon ultegra. however the 105s are just as good.

Clear as mud!
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    thecrofter wrote:
    You must have some float in the cleats if this is your Sportive bike. Trying to do longer distances with no-float would f*** your knees. No float are recommended for short races/track use only.

complete and utter bollox
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    sub55 wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:

Thanks for your considered and intelligent input. I was only trying to help with my experience and accumulated knowledge. I thought that's what internet forums were for...sharing knowledge. Not cheap unreasoned insults. I suppose I've learned something today. I'll try to not post on this forum again as I am clearly out of my depth. Thank you sub55 for pointing out my inadequacies.

BTW, if you can take your head out of you own a55 long enough, there's a thing called Google, it's a search engine, try searching for other peoples experiences with fixed and floating cleats. You will see that, while different things work for different people in practice, in general floating cleats are a good deal easier on the knees especially for extended periods of riding. As the OP was talking about his "sportive bike" this seemed like reasonable advice.

PS FU2
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    thecrofter wrote:
    sub55 wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:

Thanks for your considered and intelligent input. I was only trying to help with my experience and accumulated knowledge. I thought that's what internet forums were for...sharing knowledge. Not cheap unreasoned insults. I suppose I've learned something today. I'll try to not post on this forum again as I am clearly out of my depth. Thank you sub55 for pointing out my inadequacies.

BTW, if you can take your head out of you own a55 long enough, there's a thing called Google, it's a search engine, try searching for other peoples experiences with fixed and floating cleats. You will see that, while different things work for different people in practice, in general floating cleats are a good deal easier on the knees especially for extended periods of riding. As the OP was talking about his "sportive bike" this seemed like reasonable advice.

PS FU2

He's right though. Float is a pain when the cleats are set up properly, feels like your feet are pushing on ice at times because they can move around a bit. Saying that you must have float is really a bit extreme when not every rider may have the same issues as you. Personally I had floated cleats set up and I wish i'd gone for ones without because I don't like the feeling of my feet moving around, it lets my knees move around more than I would like them to.

OP, if you have the cleats set up properly (i.e in a bike fit) then I would go for fixed, if not then go for float as it allows you to get it slightly wrong.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    As the SPD-SL pedals come with yellow float cleats it does not really matter. As for which to use I have used the yellow since they first came out and have never noticed any 'float' while riding. To me they just seem to mean you don't have to set them up so spot on. I could not be bothered to try to set red ones up.
  • What happened to toe clips?
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    edited July 2012
    What happened to toe clips?
    Indeed. :wink: If you had ever used them (and shoe plates) seriously you would be very glad they are a thing of the dim and distant past. :lol:
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    thecrofter wrote:
    sub55 wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:

PS FU2

I stand by what i said. Yes, i appreciate that this is an Internet forum and people give their opinions, but it helps if theres a grain of truth within that opinion.
    It's obvious to me that those people who have knee issues through poor alignment of cleats , obviously are lazy and have a that will do, near enough attitude.
    Personally ridden about 150,000 miles in the last 15 years , including single events of up to a 1000k , 24 hr tt's , etc
    all done on fixed cleats and no knee issues.

Toe clips with shoe plates , been there all those many years ago. Then you read people fall off using clip less pedals , god if only they knew.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly