Gorrick Autumn series

2»

Comments

• Yesterday was my first ever mountain bike race, and after a quick recce lap of the course, I was a tad nervous as I lined up for the start of the women's vet race.

As a seasoned tester, I was definitely outside of my comfort zone and found it all very technical. Every time I see a tree root I panic and mud just forces me to dismount and run!

Anyway I got round and may even have avoided finishing last due to my speed on the easy fire trails!

Thank you to the Gorrick team for staging the event and a lovely man called Will from Dorset who took me round my recce lap.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I nearly came a cropper on a rooty section - didn't see an off camber one on a bend and it felt like someone had pulled a blanket from under me....somehow tyres gripped again in the mud and I stayed on. Remember thinking to myself that my wife would have hated it!!!

Great course and race though. Save for a couple of sections the course was lovely and dry and was the usual good mix of singletrack and overtaking areas.
  • grawp
    grawp Posts: 46
    I thought the course was great and 2.1 Ralphs provided all the traction needed. Also went down on the last off camber, rooty corner, loosing 3rd place in the Masters in the process, but that was my fault for going into it too fast and missing the correct line. Still loved it though.
    I was commenting that I really enjoyed the relaxed 'grass roots' Sunday racing atmosphere after all the events over the summer. Great to see so many kids out there.
  • C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    Loved the course on Sunday, probably the best course I've ridden in my very short racing life, with the exception of a fast off on the last lap and my rear wheel coming out it's position, oh and dropping my drinks bottle on the last lap oh and also messing the start up and spinning the wheel off the line losing my footing getting hit from behind and setting off nearly last, all was great, Can't do spring series but I'll be back for the Autumn next year.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Still, feel the atmosphere needs a little livening up at some of the Gorricks, there's nothing keeping people there after the race, I finished, caught my breathe and then went home. A bit of music or something wouldn't be bad.

Whilst they're superb events, that's one of the reasons I don't do more. If you race in Sport/Expert by the time you finish they're clearing up the course behind you, the catering van has often gone home and it's all a bit anticlimactic. They are fantastic for the open/fun/master/vets, but just don't seem to attract the numbers into other categories, I guess it's the prevalence of other BC sanctioned events.

Brass Monkeys are brilliant though, I do like the 'all together' format for winter racing particularly!
  • C0LL0
    does anyone know when the series points will and put up on website??
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There are no series points for the autumn races - it's just 2 standalone events.

Series points/prizes for the spring series which kicks off on 27th Jan.
  • C0LL0
    oh okay, don't think I scored any anyway, but must have been a little confused by the term "series". Still I'll be back next for the 2 races again, fantastic courses they put on.