Whyte 2013 729 or 2012 829???

nickd911
nickd911 Posts: 14
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I have a dilemma, weather to get the Whyte 729 which comes out in a few weeks or to get last year’s 829. I can get either for about £1,500 so price is the same, but comes down to spec and ride ability. Additionally i have seen an ex demo 829 for £1,300 not sure if its good value though!

I have been told that the new 729 will be far more focussed, agile and a lot faster in single-track, but as an occasional rider would I really notice this, also I'm only doing trails, bridleways etc.

Please help...

nickd

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    nickd911 wrote:
    I have been told that the new 729 will be far more focussed, agile and a lot faster in single-track
    Yes they always say that truth is every model year is less of a bike than the year before

Case in point I was looking at a Whyte 19 a year or two ago which was discounted because the 'more focussed, agile etc etc' new version was coming out. The old 19 was 9-speed XT/SLX, Hope brakes/hubs, Reba forks, nice wheels pretty decent bike really the new one was 10-speed SLX, Avid brakes, Recon fork, still a '19' but not the same bike IYKWIM

My Scott Voltage is a 2011 bike the 2012 version is slightly inferior and the 2013 version even more so.

My advice would be to go for the 829
  • nickd911
    Thanks, I was pulling towards the 829 as the original RRP was higher, has what appears to be the better spec.

Again what i was told it that the 729 has overcome all of the shortfalls of the 829 (weight, slow movement)!

Plus I prefer the colour of the 829.

Is it worth going for an ex-demo which is £150 cheaper?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Without knowing what's on what who can say.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nickd911
    ???
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    nickd911 wrote:
    Thanks, I was pulling towards the 829 as the original RRP was higher, has what appears to be the better spec.

Again what i was told it that the 729 has overcome all of the shortfalls of the 829 (weight, slow movement)!

Christ almighty you listen far too much to the marketing drivel, the 729 has overcome the shortfalls of the 829 such as weight and slow movement.. what slow movement, didn't realise they moved themselves I thought it was the user who determined what speed they can achieve.

Secondly, overcoming weight? Wtf, my 809 is the lower spec compared to the 829 and it certainly aint a tank.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    nickd911 wrote:
    That would swing it for me :)
    nickd911 wrote:
    £150 hmm...if it's been ridden but not very far and not very hard then fair enough but if it looks as though it's been jetwashed to death and the grips are worn, the rotors are polished and there are more than just a few stone chips on the bottom bracket shell/chain stays i.e. generally scruffy then for the sake of £150 I would steer well clear or at least ask for fresh tyres/brake pads/chain

May be worth negotiating a deal on the new bike ask them if they can do it for the same price as the demo for a cash sale when they say no ask if they can meet you halfway. Aim high shoot low etc good luck
  • nickd911
    The 829 it is then, the demo has had ten different riders each for a weekend. I was told the warranty would be the same as a new bike and they would fully service it before selling. Although it does have some cable rub and a few scratches. The price on this is 1350, although with the 729 coming in at 1499 they may reduce this. I have seen the 829 new online for 1499 although this is about 120 miles away! Decisions decisions...
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    Without knowing what's on what who can say.
    nickd911 wrote:
    ???
    he's referring to the lack of links to the bikes, most people don't have the spec of every bike memorised
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011