A shoe quandary..

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
My beloved Time RXS MTB shoes are coming to the end of their life; 5 years of commuting + MTB'ing has taken it's toll. The sole is slowly disconnecting from the upper.....

They have been great, comfortable shoes and have the clicky locking strap across the tongue of the shoe. I paid £45 for them 5 years ago....

Anyway, I want to pay a similar amount for another shoe - same features. Or, has anyone any experience of MTB shoes with laces or Mavic mtb shoes?

Advice welcome.

Comments

• pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Unless you specifically need MTB shoes, have a look at some of the touring shoes around. I went for the Shimano RT32's and feel they're much better than my old MTB shoes as they're less bulky and stiffer.
  • gtvlusso
    I still do some singletrack MTB and allot of commuting, so, I am a little unsure of my choices....
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I have a set of Mavic's (The ones around £90-100). Had them for about 5 months now and I use them to commute and they have done laps of Haldon, FOD, Cwmcarn and have been excellent. Obviously they are not £45 but I should imagine you may struggle to get some for £45 now a days...
  • gtvlusso
    twist83 wrote:
    I have a set of Mavic's (The ones around £90-100). Had them for about 5 months now and I use them to commute and they have done laps of Haldon, FOD, Cwmcarn and have been excellent. Obviously they are not £45 but I should imagine you may struggle to get some for £45 now a days...

Which Mavics are they? Razor?
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    I could not be happier with my pair of these http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _SPD_Shoes

Probably more of a touring shoe, but sure they'd be fine for MTB as well.
  • gtvlusso
    Don't have my size....45 boo :-(
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Can you be really tight and glue them back together? You can usually make them last a *lot* longer...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    If you're really poor you could try what I did and drill two holes in the sole and use a cable tie to hold the shoe together. Worked for a while.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I love the specialized bg mtb shoes :)
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    if you can wait a bit just look for bargains - there are always some to be had when it comes to shoes.

Look here:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lou ... e-ec034778
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lou ... e-ec034780
    and you can use the code for 15% off

That means around £45 for them...
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    gtvlusso wrote:
    twist83 wrote:

Which Mavics are they? Razor?

Yes sir that is them!
  • gtvlusso
    Hmmmm - all good thought!

Anyone tried Suplest shoes?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I am looking for a new Pair of Shoes for commuting as well, Suplest look pretty nice, anyone own a pair?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills