First sub-20 min lap round Richmond Park

13»

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    okgo wrote:
    It isn't flat. Anyone can see that. Like saying Wales is millpond flat, why don't you try riding in the Alps.

Took the words right out of my mouth - I've ridden in Wales, its pleasant rolling country but nothing to write home about. An hour in Richmond Park at near threshold is as tough a workout as any of the climbs round there. I think Willhub (hailing from Yorkshire, which has some proper hills) was surprised by how unlike a "millpond" RP is.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    BigMat wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    It isn't flat. Anyone can see that. Like saying Wales is millpond flat, why don't you try riding in the Alps.

Took the words right out of my mouth - I've ridden in Wales, its pleasant rolling country but nothing to write home about. An hour in Richmond Park at near threshold is as tough a workout as any of the climbs round there. I think Willhub (hailing from Yorkshire, which has some proper hills) was surprised by how unlike a "millpond" RP is.

I have to say, I lean more towards SimonAH's view here. It's certainly not flat, and there are a couple of steep little climbs, but the fact that it's not beyond the limits of many amateurs to lap it at 24mph+ tells you that it's not that hilly, even by North Downs standards. And maybe you've not been to the right bit of Wales.

800px-Llanberis-P4121156.JPG
    Wales_BreconBeacons_Route_Cycling.jpg
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    okgo wrote:

I have to say, I lean more towards SimonAH's view here. It's certainly not flat, and there are a cwholly

quite even with normal FG/SS most of the hills aren't that bad, bit of drag up to Richmond via Sawyers and even flatter from Kingston way.

only steep bits are Darkhill and Broomfield, plenty manage up them with daft gearing.
  • bigmat
    rjsterry wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    okgo wrote:

I have to say, I lean more towards SimonAH's view here. It's certainly not flat, and there are a cwholly

quite even with normal FG/SS most of the hills aren't that bad, bit of drag up to Richmond via Sawyers and even flatter from Kingston way.

only steep bits are Darkhill and Broomfield, plenty manage up them with daft gearing.

Yeah yeah yeah - nobody's saying RP is like the Alps but its clearly not flat. Still don't think the hills in Wales are all that - those pictures show big hills, but the roads don't appear to be going up them! Anyway, its all good - don't want to start a "my hills are bigger than your hills" slagging match (in fact its my objection to that which prompted my initial post!)
  • rjsterry
    I think I agreed that it wasn't flat, but you seemed to be countering Simon's exaggeration with another.

The top pic is the Llanberis Pass. The road is ~360m above sea level at the pass. Here's another pic

2574389_855489d3.jpg

Ffordd Penllech in Harlech purports to be the steepest road in the UK at a 40% gradient. Not many commuters use that route, I'd wager.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Nobody is claiming RP is hill mecca, just that it isn't pan flat, because its not, you won't find many amateurs lapping it at 24mph plus.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • rjsterry
    okgo wrote:
    Nobody is claiming RP is hill mecca, just that it isn't pan flat, because its not, you won't find many amateurs lapping it at 24mph plus.

I originally wrote 20mph+, but If it's 8 miles a lap (roughly), is that not 24mph for a 20 minute lap?

{Googles}

Ah, it's only 7 miles, so 20mph+ for a lap is more accurate. Still.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bigmat
    rjsterry wrote:
    okgo wrote:

I originally wrote 20mph+, but If it's 8 miles a lap (roughly), is that not 24mph for a 20 minute lap?

{Googles}

Ah, it's only 7 miles, so 20mph+ for a lap is more accurate. Still.

6.7 miles actually. We're splitting hairs now aren't we! :wink:

I think 24mph would give you around 50:15 for 3 laps and only the best amateurs are going to hit those speeds! :lol:
  • I think you need to hit 20.2mph for a 20min lap.

Not cycling this weekend so the plan is two laps before work tomorrow and the same on Thursday. After a summer of regularly going under 20 mins, I've struggled as of late. If I can crack 20 mins with my work bag, I'll be quite pleased.

I wouldn't call it hilly, but it's very good for training.
  • Since I started this thread more than a year ago, I've made pretty steady progress to the point where I went round thrice anti-clockwise this morning in 57.13 including an 18.45 lap.

I don't get to ride round the park that often these days as we've moved to Lewisham but I still enjoy it when I do. It's the only place other than a turbo where you can bury yourself and not worry too much about traffic or bad surfaces.

I'm now almost two stone lighter than I was when I first went under 20 mins which helps on what inclines there are. I'll post a link to Strava when I'm not in the train.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Where's that thumbs up smiley when you need it????
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    That's very good, especially given the discussion above about cold, dense air. Chapeau.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides