Moving on from a womens specific bike!

smurf69
smurf69 Posts: 6
edited July 2012 in Women
Hi. I'm currently looking to move to a hardtail from a women's specific full-suss which I've been riding for the last 4yrs. After some deliberation I bought a core 50 but really didn't gel with the bike which was compounded by taking a massive spill from it. I've sold it now but am still in the market for a h/t. One of the things I didn't like (prob cos I've been riding a women's specific bike) was what felt like really wide handle bars. Has anybody else found this a problem? Any advice, comments, observations would be much appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easier to put shorter bars on than sell the bike, surely?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • smurf69
    Considered this but wasn't just the bars....whole bike was just a bad fit. Got a good deal on it in the first place so didn't lose much money in selling.
    Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same feeling when returning to a unisex bike and how long did it take your riding style to adapt?
  • smurf69
    Hi,just wondering if anyone has experienced any diff's moving from a women's specific bike to a unisex one? For the last 4 years I've been riding a specialized myka fsr elite but have decided to return to a h/t - will prob buy a unisex one. Bought a genesis core, didn't really gel with the bike and found the handlebars to be really wide - they were just standard size though. Anyone experienced anything similar and did it take a while for your riding style to adapt?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ok. first the differences between the specs.

Women spec frames often have shorter top tubes. then onto the kit fitted. bars tend to be narrower and saddles wider.

so back to the Core that could have been OK with narrower bars?

but as with anyone if a bike fits it fits but be prepared to ask the store to change parts if they dont feel right. Or buy them later and get it right as you need.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    topics merged.

there is no need to duplicate the same topic.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • I ride both a WSD and a mens. My WSD is a full susser and mens is a HT, I don't feel much (if any difference) between the genders, its about finding a bike that suits you and your body shape, my womens is a medium and mens is a small, I tried many different makes of bikes and found that Scott make the right bike for me both mens and womens (that is what I have), Specialized and Trek also feel right on test rides, however Giant, Cannondale and Cube don't. I can't say why they don't feel right they just don't. I personally feel that mens bikes tend to be better specced and lighter than womens especially at entry level prices.

Best advise is to set a budget and try out as many different makes in both mens and womens and there will be a bike for you. Wider handle bars are meant to give better control, but depending on your body shape, women have narrower shoulders so riding a bike with wider bars will not make it feel easy
  • smurf69
    Thanks stalkedtoast, been to another bike shop today and have arranged to try a mens and womens version of same bike next week, however they only stock giant and don't want to restrict myself to one make so will source some others - reassuring though as these guys were talking about shortening the bars and changing the stem etc to get a good fit - think I just had a poor experience in first shop. It's a specialized I'm riding now and Giant I'm planning to test-ride next week but will make sure I try out some more - diff finding a shop that stocks more that 1 or at most 2 brands but will persevere. Appreciate you taking the time to reply.
  • nicklouse
    Just to add to the followed hot breads post also take to some shops about a totally custom build. May not cost more than an off th shelf option.

We have done it many a time. But then you do need a real bike shop that can do. But the biggest thing is your budget. Set it and hold to it.
  • you don't say where you are located smurf69, but I was fortunate enough to live near 2 large bike shops who stock nearly all top brands being Leisure Lakes bikes and All terrain cycles in the North of England.
  • smurf69
    Live in NE Fife. Need to travel an hour North to test ride the Giants, diff local shops stock specialized, genesis, orange and trek but unfortunately won't be able to demo them or ride them back to back to compare.