Wheel weight

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Got a set of bontrager race lite wheels on my 2009/10 madone 4.7. Does anyone know their weight and what upgrade would you suggest that isn't too expensive. Rs80's £299 or is there a better cheaper lighter option. Just looking about and trying to reduce my bike weight cheers. Also what's a good slick tyre that's puncture resistant to a degree that would compliment a new set of wheels. All black preferably. Cheers
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The non-aeros appear to weigh 740/1020 grams.

Spend 100 more and by Elites instead.

I use Michelin Pro3 (now Pro4) and they're fast, light, and have yet to puncture.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • mosa
    mosa Posts: 754
    Cheers for that. I like the look of the ones with red hubs and the single red spoke in mavic get confused with the different models as to which are best.
    My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    The ones you are referring to are the SLs, they have aluminum spokes which does reduce comfort. The Elites are the best in the range by far, and cheaper - but do look less flash.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Do you want really light weight wheels for your £300 or bling wheels? If you want light weight ones then you could build up a pair of Kinlin XR200 rims on Bitex (or similar) hubs and Sapim spokes that'd come in at ~1250g. I did just this recently and total cost was under £200 (including postage costs from the US and VAT). I got the hubs cheap through the forum, but it wouldn't cost that much more to get the hubs new.

Have a look at bikehubstore for hubs, rims and spokes. Choice of hub colours so you can even have bling, light weight and fairly cheap. Orders take about a week to arrive.

And if you can't build them yourself then any decent LBS should do it for about £20 a wheel.
    More problems but still living....
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    RPD Steve wrote:
    The ones you are referring to are the SLs, they have aluminum spokes which does reduce comfort

Utter bilge.

I've had both and i've still got the SLs and there's squat difference in comfort, the SLs are faultless and if you've got the money, buy them.
    The Elites are a cracking wheel too and i found them better than the RS80s which flex on the hills, other than that the RS80s are great but i'd pay the extra for the elites. The Elites were ridden all year round and even took a side impact from a car without damage even though the stays were bent.