When commuting meets a nutcase!

DaveHudson
DaveHudson Posts: 290
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
My work colleague and friend of 13 years had a horrible attempt at cycling to work today. He left his home at 8am and shortly after he was hit by a car.

When I was told this by my boss I assumed as most would it was a SMIDSY incident but as the morning rolled on and more info filtered through we realised how lucky he was.

http://www.halsteadgazette.co.uk/news/h ... h_airgun_/

34 y/o Keith was the "20 y/o pedal cyclist" mentioned in the text but they have kinda made it sound like a minor incident. Having spoken to him this evening to see how he is it's really worrying how badly this could have ended.

The driver had just shot a bin man in the face with a gas powered pellet gun and was making his escape, the reason he shot the guy was they were blocking the road!! :shock: Obviously the guy has issues. He came around the corner and Keith was riding along also "blocking" the road so he drove straight into him. The police have said the marking on the bumper is nigh on central and it wasn't a clip it was a full on thump up the back side.

Fortunately Keith didn't know what was happening till he was airborne and luckily clear of the bike (a Trek Madone) landing ribs first on the curb only to see this scumbag run straight over the top of the bike. I think him not knowing it was going to happen probably saved him from more serious injuries as he was relaxed when he took off.

The driver didn't stop (but did indicate at the junction after the crash :lol: ) and was caught about 5 miles away with a flat tyre which we hope was a shard of carbon from the bike. :evil:

Fortunately Keith has no broken bones, got some lovely red patches where skin used to be and his rib cage will be black & blue in the morning, It's been a really worrying day, The police officers first question to Keith was "Have you been shot" which confused him a bit as he didn't know anything about what happened up the road :lol:

Apparently they are treating the shooting and hit and run as two counts of attempted murder. Sadly the bike is utterly fecked so not sure if he can claim of the d*cks insurance if he was insured!

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I have no words for this. Holy. Moly.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Wow, that makes me almost thankful for the kind of idiot drivers I usually encounter, who now seem harmless in comparison!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Could be worse, could have been a Derek Bird with a real gun not a pikey with a pop gun.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • DaveHudson
    I was tempted to ask him if Gazza was their with some chicken and a fishing rod ;)

Really strange old day today.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    If this is being investigated as attempt murder X 2, it will be referred to the Crown Court & he stands a much better chance of (after a finding of guilt) of a long stretch inside. That said, the CPS (criminal protection service) have trouble prosecuting a guilty plea and will probably accept a plea of guilt to common assault with the other charge to lay on file.....!

Not wishing to belittle the bad situation your mate finds himself in - that one will possibly come way down to due care and the other will be " I just wanted to scare him and it went off.....!" I would love to be wrong here, but am not holding my breath. Please keep us all posted on this, it will show what the courts REALLY think to the most vulnerable on the roads; all the best to your mate & the offender deserves to swing.....
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    That's Essex for ya!

(Ex Wickford, Billericay & E. Hanningfield by the way!)

Glad your mate is OK though - nasty experience that, as others have said, could have been a lot worse.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    O
    M
    G

Thank God people like this are way, way in the minority.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Wow. Good job your mate's ok.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Glad he'll be ok. Don't risk prejudicing any case by putting too many details up...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Whoa!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    That is proper mental. Hope your mate heals up quickly (mental injuries as well as physical!)

Assuming the idiot was uninsured, your mate should still be able to make a claim for the bike and any injuries through the Motor Insurers Bureau.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    feckin hell that sounds horrendous

obviously getting hit by a car is going to ruin your day but is it better to be hit from behind or head on, im guessing from behind as you will be thrown from the bike as oppose to head on where you would be squished over the handlebars....eek sounds frightening
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • DaveHudson
    Had a text from him this morning, He said he is really sore today which is to be expected. He's read this thread too and may grace us with a few words if he gets a chance :)
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    Glad he's relatively ok. It's bad enough dealing with error-prone dimwitted drivers, but to come across one that deliberarely rams you? Jesus.