Alternative hybrid to a Boardman for £750?

a900ss
a900ss Posts: 91
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
Hi,

I have a road bike and a MTB but I need another flat bared bike for cycling with my kids (my wife will use the MTB)

I'd also like to use it as a winter trainer so am looking for an agressive geometry (or agressive in hybrid terms).

After a bit of research it is looking like the Boardman hybrid team is good value at £749 but is there anything else I should be considering. I don't need any off road ability at all, it will be used on cycle paths and roads only. I'm not looking for another drop barred bike either.

PS - I have short legs and a long body should it make any difference!!!!

Thanks in advance.
2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
2010 Trek 1.5 Compact
Now to diet, get fit and lose at least 3 stone!!! (2 of the 3 stone now lost...)

weight.png
Diet started 1/1/2010

Comments

• jae-so
    jae-so Posts: 85
    Nearly opted for this bike before deciding I wanted drops, it looks good and the best value for money, I say go for it.

Just to ask, you can't use your road bike when with the kids? Too fast?
  • a900ss
    Just not very practical using a drop bar bike with cleats for a family ride.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Compact
    Now to diet, get fit and lose at least 3 stone!!! (2 of the 3 stone now lost...)

weight.png
    Diet started 1/1/2010
  • Steve@Tern
    Steve@Tern Posts: 15
    I guess that around your price range there are three others that you might consider:-
    Giant Seek 1 - alloy frame and forks, Shimano Deore triple and Avid elixir hydraulic discs
    Scott SUB 20 - alloy frame and forks, Alivio/Deore XT triple and Deore hydraulic discs
    Giant Rapid 2 - alloy frame, composite forks, Shimano 453/Tiagra triple and Tektro dual-pivot caliper brakes - very much a flat-bar road bike.
    All these feature Shimano gears, while the Boardman carries SRAM - each has its adherents.The SRAM flat-bar shifters at least mirror the twin-lever action of the Shimano setups, rather than the 'double-tap' operation on a road bike.
    As far as the range of ratios is concerned, the Boardman and the Rapid 2 are pretty much equivalent, although the Boardman spreads them over only two ranges rather than three. I guess from that point of view, both are aimed at the same sort of riding. If you need lower ratios, then the Seek and the SUB will both deliver a bit more purchase on hills.
    Anyway, probably all worth a look, if only to confirm your original choice.
  • a900ss
    Thanks all.

Time to try a few bikes on for size.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Compact

weight.png
    Diet started 1/1/2010
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Only thing better than a boardman hybrid for £750 is a boardman hybrid for £675 with 10% off by joining British Cycling for the princely sum of £10.80 (use the TForL code to get membership for half price and further discount for using Direct dEbit).

Plus 4.5% quidco on purchases in store.

OR even better - Halfords often have 10% off or £70 off if you can wait a few weeks, the offer will come round again for sure, then with 10% off from British Cycling you can get it for just ofer £600 with 4.5% quidco!!!
  • keefyp
    keefyp Posts: 5
    a boardman hybrid for £675 with 10% off by joining British Cycling for the princely sum of £10.80 (use the TForL code to get membership for half price and further discount for using Direct dEbit). Plus 4.5% quidco on purchases in store.
    OR even better - Halfords often have 10% off or £70 off if you can wait a few weeks, the offer will come round again for sure, then with 10% off from British Cycling you can get it for just ofer £600 with 4.5% quidco!!!

You're a genius!
    Joined British Cycling.
    Halfords £70 offer is on.
    10% BC discount
    4% cashback via Quidpro
    £587.52 (plus £12) to join BC.....£60 more than a one year old model on ebay!

Absolute bargain. Thanks!
  • a900ss
    Hi,

I'm the OP and I did go for a CB hybrid Team. However I managed to pick a secondhand one that was only a month old. It came with uprated tyres, a pair of mudguards, bar ends and a tool kit. More than £800 of kit for only £575 and you'd never know it was secondhand.

Thanks all.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Compact

weight.png
    Diet started 1/1/2010
  • keefyp wrote:
    a boardman hybrid for £675 with 10% off by joining British Cycling for the princely sum of £10.80 (use the TForL code to get membership for half price and further discount for using Direct dEbit). Plus 4.5% quidco on purchases in store.

You're a genius!
    Joined British Cycling.
    Halfords £70 offer is on.
    10% BC discount
    4% cashback via Quidpro
    £587.52 (plus £12) to join BC.....£60 more than a one year old model on ebay!

Absolute bargain. Thanks!

Hi,
    Did this work? Did you get both the £70 off and the 10% BC discount?

I am thinking of doing the same but didnt know if Halfords would allow it.

Cheers
    Ash
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I've had my Boardman Hybrid for almost 2 years now and its an amazing bike, so well done.
    Have recently added a rear rack, handlebar bag and will be adding some wider tyres so it can also be used for longer rides on non tarmac cycle paths..
    and still use it as a precision speed machine during commutes by using the skinny tyres :)

You only need one good bike ;)
  • keefyp
    keefyp Posts: 5
    Did this work? Did you get both the £70 off and the 10% BC discount?

Yup. And I used QuidCo to get 3% cashback on top. They will give you 3% cashback on Reserve and Collect from Halfords.