Grips and bar end suggestions please

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
I currently have some specialized BG grips on my MTB (Orange EVO2) which are getting worn after many good years of use. I also have a hybrid (carrera gryphon) for which I bought some ergon GC3 (now GP5) grips (grips with the built in 2 position bar ends) due to having a flat bar and road buzz (lack of suspension makes a big difference on road). They've been great on my hybrid, so I swapped them over to my MTB to try them on that, and am finding bar ends really useful for helping me to put down power (especially up hills) as well as giving a different riding position.

I'm now looking at replacements for my specialized BG grips, and after years without bar ends (I always thought they were more of a 90's thing), and thinking about getting either some grips with built in bar ends (a-la the ergons) or getting some other grips (poss ODI style) and seperate bar ends (like the cane creek ergon control 2's).

Anyone have experience/suggestions of the ergons vs sep grips and bar ends?

If I went for the separate grip/bar end combo which type of ODI grip gives good comfort and will last a while? Are the spesh BG grips still good?

I need to try and make sure I don't get sore/numb hands after long rides while still giving me good control off-road which I know could mean a compromise.

Any help's appreciated guys.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    ODI Ruffians are excellent and last forever.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Superstar are cheap and comfy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They are but they are too soft and last about five minutes
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    ODI Ruffians are on CRC now for £9.99 IIRC

Its worth the £2 more for them over the Superstars, as they'll last far far longer
  • cooldad
    They are but they are too soft and last about five minutes
    Well, a year or so, You exaggerate.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    compo wrote:

Its worth the £2 more for them over the Superstars, as they'll last far far longer
    Are they? Only ones I can find are £17. £12 without clamps. So a lot more trhan SS. Unless you have a link?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    cooldad wrote:
    compo wrote:

Are they? Only ones I can find are £17. £12 without clamps. So a lot more trhan SS. Unless you have a link?

I think they were in the Sale a day or two before I posted. I guess they may have been taken out of it.
    Or most likely, I could have been mistaken.... :oops:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'm a big fan of ODI troy lee grips, and now also the ODI sdg grips too, both are fantastic, grip very very well, are super comfy and last ages. slightly more than superstar, but way, way better. Ritchey make good barends apparently, a few guys I ride with use them, no idea what exact model they are, imo barends belong in the stone age :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Kcnc foam Eva very soft there a bitch to get on though.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    ESIgrips on my bike - not bad, soft, ok to fit, thin so not too distracting from your hand position and reasonably light if that's your thing.

But if you like the Ergons and you want bar ends a quick look at CRC suggests they are your best option and you know them so why not go with them again?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.