New pump. but what type?

tezboy1234
tezboy1234 Posts: 132
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Been looking at pump reviews on bikeradar. All the highest rated ones are mostly High Pressure pumps. Sounds good but i was recently told that although they will work on mountain bikes, they aren't idealy the best pumps for mtb. So what type of pump is the best for mountain bikes? I would like one that comes with a water bottle mount, preferably in black. Lezyne seem a good quality make according to reviews, but that's for their High Pressure pumps. Any advice on wich type of pump is best for me and any specific recommendations would be geatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Lezyne are always very well rated, whether they're intended for road or MTB. I've had a few Blackburn pumps over the years that have been good, and currently carry a rather brilliant Serfas pump in my camelbak. What I like about the Serfas is that it fits either Presta or Schraeder valve types without having to do anything - just stick it on and it works.
    I'm aware that other pumps do this too, but I think it's the first non-worskshop pump I bought that had that feature.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Topeak Mountain Morph, big but can inflate a mountain bike tyre in no time without knackering your arms.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Topeak Joe Blow is cheap and basic but solid and reliable.
    My old Park tools track pump was a piece of crap, useless guage and leaked from a few places.
  • Coolnick
    Coolnick Posts: 380
    Another vote for the Topeak Mountain Morph - pumps up your tyres in no time and much easier to use being a mini track pump.
    Boardman HT Comp 2012>
    Spesh Rockhopper 2004 - 2012
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have a Blackburn one because it has a red anodised shaft so pumps faster.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I have a Blackburn one because it has a red anodised shaft so pumps faster.

I second pumping faster to get a red shaft!
  • tezboy1234
    tezboy1234 Posts: 132
    Thanks for the replies. I finally found the answer i was looking for. After lots of searching, the info i needed came from the Lezyne website. It was a High Volume pump that is more suited to mountain bikes. The High Pressure pumps are more suited for road bikes. I thought the High Pressure pumps would have been better as they have a higher psi and bar, but that wasn't the case for mountain bikes. Strange! but apparently true. I wish i'd been more patient when i found this out so i could have checked your recommendations out. But i've already ordered a pump. I went with the Lezyne Alloy Drive Hand Pump 2012 medium - v2 abs black. It was 26.99 (inc. mounting bracket) from amazon uk with free delivery.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    tezboy1234 wrote:
    I thought the High Pressure pumps would have been better as they have a higher psi and bar, but that wasn't the case for mountain bikes. Strange! but apparently true.
    Road bikes run very low-volume (narrow) tyres, at about 3 quadrillion PSI.
    MTBs run high volume (wide) tyres at about 25-40 PSI.