sidi mtb shoes

bikerbennyp
bikerbennyp Posts: 96
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Im looking to buy some sidi mtb shoes. ive looked at the dragon carbon srs and was wondering if anyone had any advice pros/cons. also if anyone has seen any deals on them. seen them for 175 but wondering if i could find them cheaper? thanks

Comments

• djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    Try a pair, they are very narrow fitting and you may need a size larger than your normal size. The srs soles wear easily but can be unscrewed and replaced.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Need to try - they re quite narrow. They tend to wear in over a few months and a few wet rides and then be comfortable for years, but the first few rides can feel a bit underwhelming as they ll hurt in places.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I have a pair of the Dominator 5, they are well worth the expense, I have had them for about 5 years now and they have been great, they are on the narrow side so you may need a wider fit, otherwise they fit spot on, snug and comfy no rubbing etc. Of all the shoes Ive had I will rate the SIDIs 10/10, I will be buying again when they need replacing
  • ddraver
    The only reason I swithced when I got some...ahem...road shoes, was that they don't make MEGA sizes with replaceable soles. My MTB ones are 3-4 years old now and the non-replaceable soles are starting to wear downs, the cleat now touches the floor and stuff. Still fine for XC but I don't wear them up mountains any more as they re too slippery.
    - @ddraver
  • thanks for the honest replies. i currently have S works and theses fit great but wanting a change. you say they are a narrow fit, how do these compare to s works? i may go and try some on just to be sure.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I have s-works road shoes and Sidi dragon MTB, I don't find them that narrow really(and have fairly broad fit), pretty comparable fit-wise to the s-works. I'd probably go with s-works MTB shoes now if I was looking, nothing wrong really with the Sidi's but I prefer Boa closures to buckles (especially as I wrote one buckle off in a crash, they are replaceable but the fact they stick out on the side of the shoes means they're more exposed). Sidi insoles are pants to so you'd need to cost in changing to BG insoles really. Also you need to tighten (and preferably threadlock) all the sole screws otherwise you lose bits of them. They dry out reasonably fast and scrub up pretty well after muddy rides to.
  • ddraver
    I found Spesh shoes (bit not the S-Works) to be a bit wider....
    - @ddraver
  • the s works are great with the BG soles. dont know what sidis are like. i know for a fact that my s works are very tough (stood up to a cyclocross season) but dont know how tough sidis are?