was this a drop off?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I prefer the 50k.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Heres me dropping a roll a few weeks ago at llandegla..if Id been able to pedal a little faster, I could have made the transition and dropped two rolls in one

/although this is actually known as the 'bridge drop'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_YFY9D13fw
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    dan shard wrote:
    although this is actually known as the 'bridge drop'
    A lot of things on trail centers seem to have overly forboding names, to give people who can just barely make it round something to brag about - there's one that often comes up on this forum called "Wolf Drop", which is just a sloping bit of trail :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    We have one on a regular trail called Tim's Drop. Not a scary name in itself but it's so called because one of the guys hashed it up a bit and ended up in IC in a coma with a cracked vertebra.
    We still laugh about it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I prefer the 50k.

They can walk over the entire length of a marathon course in 3 hours.

That's some serious walking.

I presume Olympic level walkers have to wear eye protection, gloves, and also some sort of non-slip footwear, otherwise the HSE would never let it happen. I'm as much a fan of a danger walk as the next man, but I guess if you're the cream of the world's walkers you've got to protect whats important.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    dan shard wrote:
    there's one that often comes up on this forum called "Wolf Drop", which is just a sloping bit of trail :lol:

It used to be an actual drop, hence its name, but too many people ended up injured or dead so they made it into a slope.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Of course. Similarly, Coed y Brenin used to be just one large 40 foot drop off With a beartrap at the bottom.
    But since only 6 of us (and three midgets, retard, and a potato) were gnarcore enough to survive it, it was deemed not financially viable.
    And so they built the trails instead.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'd call what the OP is describing a "roller". drops require both wheels off the floor.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I'd call what the OP is describing a "roller". drops require both wheels off the floor.
    Mmmmm. Do you drop of the coffee table. One day when your parents let you out alone you can ride on the ground.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    I don't know what grandiose coffee table you have in your mansion, but I wouldn't be able to fit my bike on our feeble excuse for a 'coffee table' ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I don't know what grandiose coffee table you have in your mansion, but I wouldn't be able to fit my bike on our feeble excuse for a 'coffee table' ;)
    Ugh, fu*king commoners. you "people" disgust me.
    Maybe if your ancestors would have been noble, you wouldn't be in this situation right now, you'd have some nice large houses and a coffee table big enough to hold a sporting event on.
  • ilovedirt
    I blame Wiggle.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm, you do have a point there.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cooldad wrote:
    We have one on a regular trail called Tim's Drop. Not a scary name in itself but it's so called because one of the guys hashed it up a bit and ended up in IC in a coma with a cracked vertebra.
    We still laugh about it.
    I laugh at myself for the stupidity of doing it with no skills and that I have zero memory of it so no bad memories.

As others in our gang have proven it's really not a bad drop really (as they sail over it with ease), though it is non-rollable. I'm not sure really if I'd rolled it or dropped it, but the landing was on my head. In my book it definitely comes under the drop category.

Healing done, and a few more crashes since, a year on and Jedi has just got me dropping. A drop? A roll? It's whatever you make of it.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    A small roll in from the local stuff we play on, although you can also drop it, but due to the slope landing i'd call it a drop in, not a drop off.
    To me, drop in = drop to slope, drop off = drop to flat. No idea if it means the same to anyone else of course....

27072012074.jpg
  • DodgeT
    Oh, btw kenny, that drop in :wink: looks nice..
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    This is a very long thread for a question which just required the answer "No"
    A drop with a sloped landing is a step down, never heard it called a drop in before. Drops to flat more than a few feet high aren't very common, even on DH tracks. I know of a few road gaps with flat landings and even on a DH bike they are pretty uncomfortable to land unless you are going very fast.
  • DodgeT
    Is there such a thing as an mtb glossary which depicts all manner of styles, jumps, drops etc ? To be fair, never heard (or don't think have anyway) people refer to drops as step downs.
    I'm going off what I've heard people calling the "drop ins" at lee quarry, or at least that's what I thought people were calling them.. Not as you'd lose much sleep over it anyway.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    A drop with a sloped landing is a step down, never heard it called a drop in before. Drops to flat more than a few feet high aren't very common, even on DH tracks. I know of a few road gaps with flat landings and even on a DH bike they are pretty uncomfortable to land unless you are going very fast.
    Er... drops to flat have the same impact, regardless of forward speed. Unless you have wings.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Er... drops to flat have the same impact, regardless of forward speed. Unless you have wings.
    Don't even bother :lol:
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    deadkenny wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    We still laugh about it.
    I laugh at myself for the stupidity of doing it with no skills and that I have zero memory of it so no bad memories.

As others in our gang have proven it's really not a bad drop really (as they sail over it with ease), though it is non-rollable. I'm not sure really if I'd rolled it or dropped it, but the landing was on my head. In my book it definitely comes under the drop category.

Healing done, and a few more crashes since, a year on and Jedi has just got me dropping. A drop? A roll? It's whatever you make of it.

HIGH5 Tim!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537

Never heard it called a step down either.
  • cooldad
    It's actually called an artichoke.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    ^^ funny i was just thinking that.
  • cooldad
    Well that's settled then.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    Briggo wrote:
    Never heard it called a step down either.

Really? Also called a huck
    Step down covers any jump or drop where the landing is lower than the take off weather it has a kicker on the take off or not, even stuff like road gaps & some dirt jumps. Huck is just a drop off an edge.
    Drop off seems to be a description generally only used by XC riders.
    Never heard anything called a drop in.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Drop-in came from halfpipe riding, where you literally "drop in".
  • rockmonkeysc
    Makes sense though that would be from a standing start not rolling off at speed.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Makes sense though that would be from a standing start not rolling off at speed.
    I'm just telling you where the term came from. I'm not justifying it being correct, in use or meaning.
  • bennett_346
    This forum really has a love affection with semantics.