Turbo trainer wheel and cassette advice

Cubic
Cubic Posts: 594
edited July 2012 in Workshop
Hi,

I have an Ultegra 11-25 cassette on my bike and use Fulcrum wheels. I've also got a cheap Shimano rear wheel that I want to use as a turbo trainer specific wheel. I have a fairly well used Ultegra 12-27 cassette that I was planning on using on the turbo wheel.

I want to ask is it ok to use a cassette with different gear ratios on the turbo wheel? Can I just swap them over easily or will I need to faff about with indexing etc. each time I change the wheels?

Thanks.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Theorectically you can swap between wheels without any other adjustments but in reality that does not always translate (various resons). Until you try it you will not know.

Main issue for me with the concept you describe is the chain and cassette running smoothly together as they are likely to have different wear rates/patterns between them.

Depending on your rear mech you may have problems (unlikely) with the 27 so check the maximum size and total capacity figures of your mech to see.

You may be Ok but equally it may protest.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    Thanks, I'll give it a try and hope it works ok. I tend to only use three or four gears when on the turbo anyway, so hopefully I'll get lucky!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Give it a go and see how things pan out. Personally I prefer to keep a second chain for the turbo, particularly if I'm going to be using it a lot.

If you're careful you can re-space the spare wheel on the axle so the two cassettes line up perfectly when you switch out wheels allowing for seamless transitions from turbo to real world.
  • jamienorton
    jamienorton Posts: 182
    does a turbo trainer wear the drivetrain as much road riding?
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    does a turbo trainer wear the drivetrain as much road riding?

No, assuming that your turbo bike is spotlessly clean. Also a lot easier on the wheels.