Stiff and occasionally freezing disc brakes

Razor1548
Razor1548 Posts: 53
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I know there are plenty of questions about brakes already posted, but hope people won't mind me adding to the list to ask a few specific questions.

My rear hydraulic disk brake has become very stiff.

This is the model (from retailers website): Custom Avid Elixir R SL, hydraulic disc, tool-less reach adjust, alloy backed semi-metallic pads, stainless hardware, G3 Clean Sweep rotor

I have only done about 50 miles on this year old bike.

Last time I got the bike out of the shed, I noticed the rear brake leaver is very stiff from the start of the movement to 'braking point', and that it doesn't really seem to stop when hitting that point, but you can squeeze a little further.

I went for a short ride and noticed no problem with stopping power, but the different in movement is very apparent compared to the front lever.

I tried to go for a second ride yesterday, and after testing the rear brake, it locked up and the wheel would not turn. About half an hour after carrying it to the shed to shut it up, it had freed itself and was back to it's previous 'stiff' but working operation.

I know many people on this board will happily bleed brakes while having a cup of tea and playing a game of chess... but it really is beyond my knowledge and ability. If that has to be done, then to the bike shop with it... and hopefully soon too.

Is it worth me trying to release a little bit of fluid in case that releases excess pressure?

Is it even possible for that to be the problem, with the little use the bike has had and given that the brakes have not been tampered with or altered in any way since new?

Could this be anything to do with the temporary temperature increase outside...or is that far too little to make a difference to the fluid?

Given the bike has had so little use, have I just been unlucky with my rear brake, or have I caused this by leaving the bike static in the shed for weeks at a time?

Any advice much appreciated.

I don't mind paying to get the problem fixed, but want to ride now, and will be waiting a little while to get it booked in.

ps. My searches on the forum have been 'locking disc brake', 'stiff disk brake' and 'stiff brake lever'.

Each of these posts have a bit of useful information about brakes for me (easy when you know as little as I), but don't seem to give me answers to the questions I have.

If anyone can suggest better terms to seach for, then will be appreciated too. :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    push the pistons home and then reset them. sounds like they have been over advanced.

could also be over filled which you will find out when you push the pistons home. IE they will not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown